SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Calling all East Lancashire enthusiasts.

bomberbaz

Hello everyone who is local to my area or indeed within travelling distance and considering trying something different at new viewing locations.

I am looking to see if there is any interest or enthusiasm to possibly arrange a mini star party in the local area. 

I am aware there is quite a few SGL members in the locality and some may not get opportunity to try alternative viewing places and to meet up with like minded people hence this post to gauge interest!

As a starter I thought Hurstwood reservoir car park might be a good starting point. It is easy to get to, reasonably dark, lots of room and has a great southern aspect. I have others in mind but I haven't had a chance to recke them yet. 

So anyone interested please shout up and see if this can be something worth looking at.  No dates in  mind yet due to the variable weather.

Admins I have put this post here rather than star party's as it tend to have more traffic, hope this is ok. 

Cheers all

Steve

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

A 1hr 15min drive from Liverpool. Bortle 5 SQM 20.39. Certainly darker...

It's quite a bit darker just up past Clitheroe around Bolton by Bowland, Slaidburn etc.

Steve is that too out the way? Are you talking about an evening meet or a camping for a night or two?

Ta,

Peter.

Just thinking of an evenings viewing on a suitable night Peter. Preferring a new or smallish moon either early setting or late rising.

The areas up past clitheroe are not as good as they used to be. Since the installation of LED street lights the quality of the localities just north are much worse.

I was thinking of Hurstwood as it is relatively easy to get too, however if there is sufficient interest and people prepared for a short travel, there are other areas which are certainly better. 

cheers

Steve

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Ahh. I've not been up to Bowland for a while. Nowhere is safe from the dreaded LEDs!

If we get a run of good weather over a weekend I'll likely nip up as far as Hurstwood. Hopefully a few others will chip in.

it'll come Peter, no doubt on a full moon 😂

Anyone fancy a bash Monday night subject to weather at Hurstwood feel free to join me, subject to the weather playing ball. (It does look promising)

It is more of a recce to see what the area is like because I know there is a near full rising moon to contend with but I would like to get a feel for it before I start committing any numbers of people to this spot.

Still good views to be had of saturn and jupiter, some nice globulars and clusters around and the moon will have a cracking terminator 🙃

https___s3-images.ladbible.com_s3_content_121b14156096708f6c53a3cc6e6573ee.jpg.de39fbf49e3b657f9f54e60747da96a9.jpg

Address here 23 Hurstwood Ln, Worsthorne, Burnley BB10 3LF

Map view here: map

The worthorne moor car park may have a little lp from the adjacent houses, not sure until I get a night time view, (I have been there during day many times) but there is still loads of space further down at the fork where all three small lanes split.

2021-11-18.jpg.3a15674602702d0d724ef15d9c3d3500.jpg

confirmation of times to follow

Edited by bomberbaz