SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New model observing stool on the market

Second Time Around

I've a variety of observing stools/chairs including a Skywatcher chair (identical to the Starbound I believe), a drum throne, and a telescoping stool.  None is ideal.

Here are the pros and cons I've found:

Skywatcher/Starbound Pros

A large range of height adjustment, especially at the low end for Dobs, going from 30cms/11.8ins to 82cms/32.3ins.

No need to stand up to adjust it, just lift your backside off the seat.

Skywatcher/Starbound Cons

Although I'm getting better with it, the Skywatcher still occasionally collapses on me when I adjust the height.  It's even worse for guests.

It also has a large footprint, doesn't completely fold up and is heavy and cumbersome.

Black, making it hard to see in the dark.  However, I've put a white shower cap on the seat and that does help. 

Drum throne pros

Easy to adjust the height.

Drum throne cons

Very little height adjustment.  In particular it doesn't go anywhere near low enough for my Dob.

Large footprint and heavy.

Mine is black, making it hard to see in the dark.

Telescoping stool pros

Very light, small footprint, folds up very small indeed, easy to carry.

Good range of heights from 6cms (2.4ins) at the low end - great for Dobs.

Inexpensive.

Telescoping stool cons

At a maximum of 45cms (17.7ins) it doesn't go quite high enough for my 10 inch Dob - I'm 5ft 9ins/1.75m.

Mine is black with a blue top, making it hard to see in the dark.  If I were to put a white shower cap on top I'd have to remove it to adjust the height.

Need to stand up to adjust the height.

New model telescoping stool just on the market

I spent a lot of time searching for a higher stool and spotted this one from ALEVMOOM a couple of days ago, apparently the first day it became available on Amazon UK.  I've ordered one with an expected delivery time of 4 weeks.

Screenshot_20211108-235204_copy_2949x1327_copy_2203x839.thumb.png.2d4a636410c7a8b29c274081d89d8be1.png

New model telescoping stool pros

Very light, small footprint, folds up very small indeed, easy to carry.

Inexpensive.

Heavier load of up to 200kgs/440lbs

Height range of from 9cms/3.5ins to 52cms/20.4ins - so higher than than my existing stool.

Available in red/white so it'll show up in the dark.

Has a detachable rotating cushion. However, it would have to be removed to change the height.

New model telescoping stool cons

Need to stand up to adjust the height.

I'll report back when I've received and tested it.  However, I'm very optimistic about it, especially as I have mobility issues.  Here's a link to the Amazon UK page: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09JNWBZ3P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Cost is £32 with free delivery to Prime members.  There's a 5% discount for orders before the end of the year making it £30.40.

IMG_20211108_224358_compress48.jpg

Edited by Second Time Around
  • Like 6

Ive been looking for an alternative to perching on my garden chairs at various angles as they sink into the grass :)

I was debating one of those ironing chairs but this seems significantly  cheaper and easy to store so have taken a punt. 4 weeks lead time, it might even be here before I get a night out with the new telescope 😛

Edited by wibblefish
  • Like 2

Looks interesting, thanks for the links.

For the scrooges among us it is available from TLC Electrical Supplies......

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FXPTS.html

They are happy to take an order, but don't actually say on the web site that it is in stock.

Works out at almost £28 delivered, or change from £22 if you happen to be within reach of a branch. The furthest north being Watford.

11 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

Looks interesting, thanks for the links.

For the scrooges among us it is available from TLC Electrical Supplies......

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FXPTS.html

They are happy to take an order, but don't actually say on the web site that it is in stock.

Works out at almost £28 delivered, or change from £22 if you happen to be within reach of a branch. The furthest north being Watford.

That looks like the previous model that Steve was using from the dimensions. Also half the maximum weight limit of the new one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bioboybill said:

That looks like the previous model that Steve was using from the dimensions. Also half the maximum weight limit of the new one.

It is indeed.  You can buy the old model on Amazon at a lower price than the new one, and even less on AliExpress.

I've seen the new model elsewhere, but never in the red and white colour.  I suspect that it'll become more available before long.

• 5 months later...

I eventually got the new style stool after the original order failed to turn up.  However, the replacement didn't always fold down completely.  After contacting the seller I quickly got a refund and was told to keep the stool.

I've now had a chance to take it for a test drive, but unfortunately I can't recommend it.  This is because it's unstable when leaning forward, something that could cause an injury or result in knocking your scope over.

This has made me revert to the original much more stable model, but there's a silver lining to the story.  My Dob is an OOUK one and, like the Bresser First Light, the tube can be rotated.  By turning the focuser so that it sticks out from the tube horizontally I've been able to reduce the maximum height of the eyepiece by several inches.  This means that, unless I'm using my equatorial platform, my original stool works on my 10in Dob for objects from the horizon right up to the zenith.

I've also just bought a red stool for my brother.  It's similar but a slightly different design to my original one, but Richard says it's stable and very easy to expand and contract.  What's more it's only £19.99.  Here's a link:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Booxihome-Telescopic-Generation-Lightweight-Gardening/dp/B08TT848D8

I still can't find one in white or red/white though.  Can anyone help here please?

Finally, if you need a slightly higher stool Spiel has come up with the ingenious idea of putting it on top of a bucket and securing it with Velcro.   Thanks, Brett!

• Thanks 2

I have one of these and it's incredibly convenient, lightweight and easy to use and fold up. The downsides are stability: you have to stand up to move it or it tilts alarmingly, and it's not high enough if my dob's near zenith. It's also rather uncomfortable if I use it for more than 15-20 minutes, even though I use two pads. I must have a bony bum! 😆

Edit: also have a care that you buy one with a high weight limit. The first one I bought broke inside two weeks.

Edited by cajen2

I have been trying out a kneeling chair with gas ram height adjustment. It allows me to take up various positions, from sitting on the lower pad and leaning back against the upper pad, good for high angle with a refractor or using binoculars, sitting on the lower pad with elbows resting on the upper pad to look down into a diagonal, to simply sitting on the upper pad at full height. Gives me seat heights between 20 and 57cm. Only used it with a mak and refractor though and I have just acquired a 10 newtonian so I suspect I'll need something else for that. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/04/2022 at 12:56, Second Time Around said:

Forget this one!

It arrived damaged in damaged packaging.  Even if it hadn't been I can't recommend it.  The plastic is brittle and I can't see the stool lasting.  My previous one is much better and still going strong despite a lot of use.

20 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

Forget this one!

It arrived damaged in damaged packaging.  Even if it hadn't been I can't recommend it.  The plastic is brittle and I can't see the stool lasting.  My previous one is much better and still going strong despite a lot of use.

There seems to be hundreds of these on the market of different quality. My second one has been fine:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B09JNWB72X?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It even has stars on the cover! 😄

32 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

This is the model I referred to in my post of April 16th as being too unstable for me.

However, I do use the starry cover as it also fits my original seat! 

I think they're all unstable: light and plastic with a narrow base. I just don't treat it like a normal chair and stand up to shift it rather than tilting it.

It has many advantages, though. I used mine on the Brecon Beacons Astro Camp and it was one fewer thing to lump around - just wore it rather fetchingly like a handbag! 😄

Edited by cajen2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cajen2 said:

There seems to be hundreds of these on the market of different quality. My second one has been fine:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B09JNWB72X?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It even has stars on the cover! 😄

I think i will get one of these for use with the giant bins or refractors. I tend to not need a broad range for either or change it too often as long as my viewing is planned well. 

My ironing stool is still my preferred seat of choice for the dob with a broad range of adjustment,  lightish and stable on level ground. 

Here is the collapsible stool, certainly very portable.

20220508_222413.thumb.jpg.044657bce918ae3bff6b358a58cc7137.jpg

and it seems strong enough

20220508_222313.thumb.jpg.864d35dad32c33dc0ea6ee9de1c9f5c4.jpg

We shall see next time i get out with my fracs as that is what I got it for on the Skytee 2 mount. 

On 07/05/2022 at 18:23, bomberbaz said:

I find ironing chairs don't go anywhere near low enough for me when using my Dobs.  In fact, they start at the maximum height I use.  And I put my refractor on a Berlebach Report 112 Astro tripod with the legs extended as little as possible.  This gives extra stability, plus the 112 model is both lighter and less expensive.  So even with my refractor I need a low chair.  YMMV.

On 08/05/2022 at 22:28, bomberbaz said:

Here is the collapsible stool, certainly very portable.

and it seems strong enough

20220508_222313.thumb.jpg.864d35dad32c33dc0ea6ee9de1c9f5c4.jpg

We shall see next time i get out with my fracs as that is what I got it for on the Skytee 2 mount. 

There are several different models of telescopic stool on the market.  I find the tall, slim ones to be unstable, especially when leaning forward. 

Steve, this one seems very similar to the first and best of three models I've bought.  Which brand is it?