Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New scope - 28inch refractor

Adam1234

I was going to say..

" Good luck splitting those doubles low down on the horizon"........ but, looking at the dome interior ,  is that gantry designed for low altitude targets  ??

Anyway, reckon you will get away with  3 x AA alkalines  ??  ;)

Edited by Craney
  • Haha 1

It can't see below about 30 deg apparently and most of the northern skies are blocked by the mount (the scope was retrofitted to the mount of a much smaller scope) But it's driven by a motor the size of a baked bean can so maybe 3 x AA's would do it ;)

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, that's a blast from the past. I was there in 1979 and Ian Nicholson showed us around the 28" refractor. Patrick Moore and Heather Cooper were there too and gave talks. PM signed my souvenir programme booklet. I was 10.👍

• Like 3

I have looked through that scope many years ago , looked at Saturn which was low in the sky and honestly the view was no better than my 14" newt

perhaps it was the seeing that made it not as good as it might have been.

still a privilege though to have looked through it

Harry

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

All joking aside, has anybody ever had the chance to look through an observatory class scope like this? 

If weather plays ball I'm hoping to get a look tomorrow night. I'm hoping to persuade them to point it at a really tight double or 2 that I'd never split with my scope, but that may not be interesting to others. I was told the objective hasn't been cleaned for a decade and is probably full of fungus. That and being close to centre of London with all the light pollution and real pollution would hamper its view of more extended objects.