Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New to using a dedicated astro camer have the 183 mc pro

• 2 weeks later...

I've always used a gain of 111 for every type of DSO (galaxies and nebula) on both of my ASI183s as that is the default setting in the ASI Windows driver/capture software out of the box. I use INDI drivers now as I use a Linux based system to capture still using a gain of G111.

It's true the ZWO website does quote 120 in the graphs but for some odd reason the software differs. Anyway somewhere in that area will work fine. You will still get some amp glow, slightly more than 53,  but that can be calibrated out completely with equal matching darks shot at the same gain, temperature and duration as the lights.

12 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

I've always used a gain of 111 for every type of DSO (galaxies and nebula) on both of my ASI183s as that is the default setting in the ASI Windows driver/capture software out of the box. I use INDI drivers now as I use a Linux based system to capture still using a gain of G111.

It's true the ZWO website does quote 120 in the graphs but for some odd reason the software differs. Anyway somewhere in that area will work fine. You will still get some amp glow, slightly more than 53,  but that can be calibrated out completely with equal matching darks shot at the same gain, temperature and duration as the lights.

I've been using 53 for targets with my L-pro and 111 for narrowband work.  The amp glow doesnt bother me as its easy to calibrate out in Pixinsight.  Thanks for the reply.