SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mercury

neil phillips

Was never certain i have seen Mercury over the years. But at age 55. Saw it recently low in the East. Was a wow moment for me. Thought about trying to image it. But moved before i could figure times to set up ect. No wonder its called the elusive planet. Just pluto via optics now for the whole set. Was well chuffed

• Like 10

Excellent catch Neil, i have seen and imaged it a few times. Its not particularly rewarding to image, but some detail can be seen occasionally in images i have seen online. I think these are mostly daylight captures when its much higher up. It is good to  it though as it is never very high during hours of darkness.

1 hour ago, Pete Presland said:

Excellent catch Neil, i have seen and imaged it a few times. Its not particularly rewarding to image, but some detail can be seen occasionally in images i have seen online. I think these are mostly daylight captures when its much higher up. It is good to  it though as it is never very high during hours of darkness.

Thanks Pete. Yes a very difficult planet to image. Not sure i will ever get a chance. But wanted to see it for many years. So very happy  to have got the chance.

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Still the only planet I’ve yet to see.

Although I still count Pluto as a planet I really don’t think I’ll ever get to see it without the aid of EEVA.

I may never see pluto not even using goto so it isnt going to happen without that. I also feel Pluto as a planet. Growing up there were 9 planets and Pluto was the last. So i prefer that. 

Hats off to you sir!

Having never had much of a clear Eastern horizon, I've scanned the Western horizon for the elusive Hermes many times and managed to spot it a few times using 7x50s in the past. It's elusiveness is not surprising when you consider the need to having a clear horizon, clear weather, catching the planet at Greatest Elongation and at those times of the year when the ecliptic presents a steep angle to the horizon. Everything has to fall into place to even have a chance. The ancients were very well aware of it though, which makes you realise the impact of pollution in the modern world and how that degrades our view of objects low on the horizon.👍

1 hour ago, Franklin said:

Hats off to you sir!

Having never had much of a clear Eastern horizon, I've scanned the Western horizon for the elusive Hermes many times and managed to spot it a few times using 7x50s in the past. It's elusiveness is not surprising when you consider the need to having a clear horizon, clear weather, catching the planet at Greatest Elongation and at those times of the year when the ecliptic presents a steep angle to the horizon. Everything has to fall into place to even have a chance. The ancients were very well aware of it though, which makes you realise the impact of pollution in the modern world and how that degrades our view of objects low on the horizon.👍

Interesting points Franklin. So many of us are surrounded by houses buildings ect. As you mention everything has to come together. In my case since moving to suffolk i have a small easterly gap between the houses i am surrounded by. Its that which helped i feel, this time around. The ancients were much more in tune with the night sky than modern man. Not likely  understanding what they was seeing as much as modern man. But certianly more in tune with the heavens and the repeating sights

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, neil phillips said:

I also feel Pluto as a planet. Growing up there were 9 planets and Pluto was the last.

Me too. I don't understand how Pluto can't be classed as a planet when it has five of its own moons orbiting it. 🤔

• Like 1

Nice one @neil phillips. I’ve seen it a few times but it’s never easy.

One memorable occasion was back towards the millennium, maybe a bit before, when there was a planetary alignment of Mercury, Venus, Mars, Saturn and Jupiter. They were strung out across the sky, but Mercury still needed some effort to see, tucked down amongst the trees.

I took this shot using a phone through my scope back in July last year, when I had another memorable night observing all the planets in one session. Again, Mercury was the hardest and even with a decent Eastern horizon I had to wait for it to emerge from the murk down low.

54B6F38C-F7BF-4ACE-8B46-E618CE595B73.jpeg

1 hour ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Me too. I don't understand how Pluto can't be classed as a planet when it has five of its own moons orbiting it. 🤔

Its amazing how our early education cements our feelings towards something. In this case i believe it was size and mass, that may have changed the classification. Though could be wrong ?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Nice one @neil phillips. I’ve seen it a few times but it’s never easy.

One memorable occasion was back towards the millennium, maybe a bit before, when there was a planetary alignment of Mercury, Venus, Mars, Saturn and Jupiter. They were strung out across the sky, but Mercury still needed some effort to see, tucked down amongst the trees.

I took this shot using a phone through my scope back in July last year, when I had another memorable night observing all the planets in one session. Again, Mercury was the hardest and even with a decent Eastern horizon I had to wait for it to emerge from the murk down low.

54B6F38C-F7BF-4ACE-8B46-E618CE595B73.jpeg

Cool snap Stu

• Thanks 1

Thanks to Paul Abel and Pete Lawrence giving me a heads up via their Youtube monthly, I found Mercury was in a favourable evening western position at sunset a few months ago, so over a couple of nights managed a peek with the 10x50s. Even swimbo ticked it off. Not the most spectacular observation but at least that's all the planets bagged.

Well done Neil 👍

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Thanks to Paul Abel and Pete Lawrence giving me a heads up via their Youtube monthly, I found Mercury was in a favourable evening western position at sunset a few months ago, so over a couple of nights managed a peek with the 10x50s. Even swimbo ticked it off. Not the most spectacular observation but at least that's all the planets bagged.

Well done Neil 👍

Manny thanks SSC

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1