Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did you see tonight?

Ags

1 minute ago, RobertI said:

Thanks for heads up, I shall add to my list of “two in a view”. 👍

i can tip you off on another potential one then though i couldn't do it last night - 32 Cyg and 31 Cyg/30 Cyg easy enough but 31 Cyg/30 Cyg could also go with NGC 6884 (another stellar PNe) a little to the south-west. The PNe is certainly in the FOV with both at 30x/2-degrees and remains in the FOV with 31 Cyg/30 Cyg at 70x/1-degree but i couldn't see it like that. I had to move the PNe up into the middle of the EP (and therefore 31 Cyg/30 Cyg just out of frame) to see it 9with averted vision).

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, josefk said:

i can tip you off on another potential one then though i couldn't do it last night - 32 Cyg and 31 Cyg/30 Cyg easy enough but 31 Cyg/30 Cyg could also go with NGC 6884 (another stellar PNe) a little to the south-west. The PNe is certainly in the FOV with both at 30x/2-degrees and remains in the FOV with 31 Cyg/30 Cyg at 70x/1-degree but i couldn't see it like that. I had to move the PNe up into the middle of the EP (and therefore 31 Cyg/30 Cyg just out of frame) to see it 9with averted vision).

Full disclosure and as described above i can't see it as i've drawn it here. i have to increase the magnification and also move the PNe up into the centre of the EP. However even in this 30x/2-degree FOV I know the PNe is there from the field stars around it. Have fun.

IMG_3307.jpeg.e87b38d6b2c22ab3ee915fd7b7cc36fc.jpeg

• Thanks 1

A mostly clear early evening dominated by the near full Moon  - very windy though as others have noted - even the Heritage 150p was a little unsteady at 150x on Mars, but pleasing views nevertheless.

Excellent views of Jupiter at medium/high power  - belts and zones clearer than they have been of late for me, and always fascinating to see the Galilean moon arrangement - last night the four making an almost straight line flowing from the main planetary disc in a N E direction.

Spent some time on our moon comparing the view and surface features to the Newtonian orientated view in Sky Safari Pro - I usually use Moon Atlas after the event, but good to see in the field as it were - to be honest I was surprised to be reminded of how detailed this app is on the Lunar surface. It never fails to impress with its feature set!

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Astro_Dad said:

Nice report and sketch of your field of view - good to see these.

i'm going after the Astro League double star and PNe pin badges 🙂 - drives good habits. Sad.

Edited by josefk
  • Like 2

12/11/22,  02.20  

First observation of M42 this year in the early hours of Saturday morning. The Orion Nebula - always a highlight and looking superb at low-medium power through the 6 inch Newt. Takes me straight back to last Winter and Christmas 😊. The Trapezium presenting clearly with the bright Moon and Mars nearby adding to the overall scene. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

12/11/22,  02.20  

First observation of M42 this year in the early hours of Saturday morning. The Orion Nebula - always a highlight and looking superb at low-medium power through the 6 inch Newt. Takes me straight back to last Winter and Christmas 😊. The Trapezium presenting clearly with the bright Moon and Mars nearby adding to the overall scene. 

Saw the moon and mars as I drove home from work last night.  Looked like a really nice setup for viewing.  Unfortunately a 12 hour shift starting at 0600 but a stop to any plans of observing.  Got up at 0300, but clouds had rolled in.

Quite jelly of your observation lol.

• Sad 2

Yesterday, during the day, we had horrendous weather in Highlands. To be fair, I was ready for a sofa-Netflix night. 

One of the local club member asked me during the day about an evening session at the observatory. I said yes, but was 99% sure it is not going to happen.

How wrong I was. Weather beautifully settled and we were set up and ready to go around 8 o'clock.

Of course I started with the moon (still overly excited about it 🤷‍♂️). I used some very low mag for starter, fiddled around with my new ND filter and taken some pics. 

A bit later I turned to Jupiter direction for the wife's request. Visibility was good with 3 of the Galilean moons are clearly in sight. We went for a red spot hunt. No joy...next time.

My little MAK's final destination was Mars for the night. 

I was pushing the magnification hard and got some good details many times for a few seconds. Also had a good go with different eyepieces from Paul's collection (thank you Paul 👍).

Tried some of the Morpheus, Explore Scientific and Pentax ones (dangerous game). The wide field is just brilliant on them. I also had a go with a Tele Vue 2x Barlow. This was the piece where I understood why this little [removed word] costs 4x more than my BST Barlow. As a beginner, I don't have much experience to form honest opinion,  but the TV Barlow just gave much better view than the BST with the same eyepiece.

At the end of our session Orion nebula started to rise and finally I had some very nice view of it through Paul's Skywatcher 200. He also explained the easiest way to find on the night sky.

Before we put the lens covers on, I had a final look on Betlegeuse.

10 o'clock we were packing up and heading home.

Short but very good session. Not only the good views, but I learned many new and interesting facts again.

PSX_20221111_223317.jpg

• Like 12

I've just given my dad his first ever view of Jupiter+moons, at the sprightly age of 88.

Since I started observing, his visits have never co-incided with clear skies. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much. He has quite bad macular degeneration and isn't too steady on his feet. We had a few minutes where he couldn't see anything, and I was trying different eyepieces with no luck. I thought I might have to throw in the towel. Then he said he could see a pinprick, so I knew he had one of the moons, and it was just down to eye position and not eye capability. Before long, he was describing the view of the planet and all four moons, a great moment. We've come back in to watch the snooker, but we'll go out and have a look at Mars when it rises above the fence.

• Like 14

Went outside earlier , for my first effort since my op ... It didnt last too long though as clouds have rolled it . Should have got everything ready a lot earlier as camera batteries were not charged ( schoolboy error ) but polar aligned the Star Adventurer and "thought " I was doing ok , until I realise I had forgotten to put the memory card in the camera zzzz . But just nice to actually be outside again .

• Like 7

Plenty to see this evening. A couple of hours before dinner, a very productive session.

Albireo - how can you resist - always a treat, most pleasing at 20mm

M27 Dumbell - tried a UHC filter but better without, 20mm and 12mm 

M57 Ring

M71 GC - difficult to resolve with either 20, 12 or 5mm

Epsilon Lyrae - double double - just resolved both pairs at 5mm or was it 12mm?

Coat Hanger  - Asterism - best / complete with 50mm EP 

M2  - quite bright but unable to resolve this evening 

M39 OC in Cygnus a glorious full field view with 20mm EP

Mu Cephei - Red Super Giant - 1000 x Sun diameter and 100,000 x the luminosity Hershel’s Garnet Star - I think highlight of the evening, just to contemplate the size of this star

M45 - again fantastic at low power - 50mm 

M34 OC in Perseus 

M31 - 20mm 

NGC 884 - double cluster in Perseus - great at both 20mm and 50mm

NGC 654 Butterfly cluster - best at 20mm but also good at 12mm

30 Ari - Multiple system, although visible double, nice, appears slightly yellow/ golden

Eta Cassiopeia- double - again golden

Almach - double, nice, tight, at 20mm

Wrapped up with the planets - Saturn, Neptune, Jupiter - some nice banding, Uranus and Mars - think that was first time I have seen them all in one evening - all well placed for viewing at the moment! 

In the main low power worked best / was most rewarding, 5mm not great on anything so presumably seeing the limiting factor here. 

All in all a very satisfying albeit brief session.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PatG said:

Plenty to see this evening. A couple of hours before dinner, a very productive session.

Albireo - how can you resist - always a treat, most pleasing at 20mm

M27 Dumbell - tried a UHC filter but better without, 20mm and 12mm 

M57 Ring

Epsilon Lyrae - double double - just resolved both pairs at 5mm or was it 12mm?

Coat Hanger  - Asterism - best / complete with 50mm EP 

M2  - quite bright but unable to resolve this evening 

M39 OC in Cygnus a glorious full field view with 20mm EP

Mu Cephei - Red Super Giant - 1000 x Sun diameter and 100,000 x the luminosity Hershel’s Garnet Star - I think highlight of the evening, just to contemplate the size of this star

M45 - again fantastic at low power - 50mm 

M34 OC in Perseus 

M31 - 20mm 

30 Ari - Multiple system, although visible double, nice, appears slightly yellow/ golden

Wrapped up with the planets - Saturn, Neptune, Jupiter - some nice banding, Uranus and Mars - think that was first time I have seen them all in one evening - all well placed for viewing at the moment! 

In the main low power worked best / was most rewarding, 5mm not great on anything so presumably seeing the limiting factor here. 

All in all a very satisfying albeit brief session.

How long did you spend at the eyepiece on each target? I like to spend a bit of time on each of them, as my eyes start to pick out details I wasn’t seeing at the start.

Plenty to see this evening. A couple of hours before dinner, very productive session.

Albireo - always a treat, most pleasing at 20mm

M27 Dumbell - tried a UHC filter but better without

M57 Ring

Epsilon Lyrae - double double - just resolved at 5mm

Coat Hanger  - best with 50mm EP

M2  - difficult to resolve this evening 

M39 Ov in Cygnus a glorious full field view with 20mm EP

Mu Cephei - Red Super Giant - 1000 x Sun diameter and 100,000 x the luminosity Hershel’s Garnet Star - highlight of the evening

M45 - again fantastic at 50mm 

M34 OC in Perseus 

M31

• Like 1

Mars, Jupiter and Uranus for me :).

Its the first time I've spent any time with Mars since using my APM LZOS 130 ED. I was able to push the mag to 270x comfortably, but the image started to degrade over 300x. At 270x I was able to make out lots of clear detail  - and more subtle colour differences becoming apparent the longer I was at the eyepiece - going to have to bone up on my Martian geopgraphy :) . One of the best views of Mars I've had in years!

Jupiter was a spectacular sight as always, but the image broke down at c. 180x. A fabulous target, though!

Uranus was clearly a planet, and not a star, at 60x, and resolving into a proper disc at 120x. I pushed to 200x, but it remained just a slighly larger, small and fuzzy disc., the blue colour readily apparent. It always astonishes me that I'm seeing an actual planet so far away :).

And maintaining the slighly fuzzy blue disc theme, I also observed NGC 7662 the blue snowball nebula. For some reason, I don't often remember to look at this object.

Edited by Marki
  • Like 7

Just back indoors due to the clouds and a strong wind picking up. I decided to give my Starfield 102 an airing, due to the earlier discussion we were having on another thread, in which this scope was recommended for another member. After a straightforward polar alignment was out of the way I slewed over to Jupiter to carry out my focus check. I ended up spending longer than I intended as the bands were showing pretty well. Both the NEB and SEB as well as the equatorial. I dragged myself away from Jupiter after focusing its moons into little pinpricks. I then sent my mount (EQ5 pro) on its way to seek out M81 & M82 in the opposite quadrant of the sky. Both were seen easily enough, but the wash from the moon was putting paid to any details. I decided to visit M45 which was a delight to view in the Starfield, with no CA as I ramped up the magnification. Then a short drop down to the Hyades and Aldebaran. After soaking up the views, I slewed (well the go to did) up to M31. It was bright enough, although the moon was doing its thing in ruining any chance of detail. Since the moon was playing a large indirect part in tonights session, I decided to drop in on it for a few terminator sweeps. Once there I enjoyed the views, although at high magnification the worsening seeing was evident. With the wind picking up and clouds starting to fill the sky, I selected Mars. I could see the clear disc with some definite shading and darker regions, but no polar cap tonight. My image started deteriorating a lot, and I at first thought I had accidentally pressed a button on the focuser. Nope!, I discovered that I must have kicked the cigarette plug loose in the male/female cable connector that was powering my dew bands. I had no idea how long the power was off, but the dew showed up along with the clouds to end my session. Dying for a hot cuppa and sausage sandwich anyway 🙂

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Just back indoors due to the clouds and a strong wind picking up. I decided to give my Starfield 102 an airing, due to the earlier discussion we were having on another thread, in which this scope was recommended for another member. After a straightforward polar alignment was out of the way I slewed over to Jupiter to carry out my focus check. I ended up spending longer than I intended as the bands were showing pretty well. Both the NEB and SEB as well as the equatorial. I dragged myself away from Jupiter after focusing its moons into little pinpricks. I then sent my mount (EQ5 pro) on its way to seek out M81 & M82 in the opposite quadrant of the sky. Both were seen easily enough, but the wash from the moon was putting paid to any details. I decided to visit M45 which was a delight to view in the Starfield, with no CA as I ramped up the magnification. Then a short drop down to the Hyades and Aldebaran. After soaking up the views, I slewed (well the go to did) up to M31. It was bright enough, although the moon was doing its thing in ruining any chance of detail. Since the moon was playing a large indirect part in tonights session, I decided to drop in on it for a few terminator sweeps. Once there I enjoyed the views, although at high magnification the worsening seeing was evident. With the wind picking up and clouds starting to fill the sky, I selected Mars. I could see the clear disc with some definite shading and darker regions, but no polar cap tonight. My image started deteriorating a lot, and I at first thought I had accidentally pressed a button on the focuser. Nope!, I discovered that I must have kicked the cigarette plug loose in the male/female cable connector that was powering my dew bands. I had no idea how long the power was off, but the dew showed up along with the clouds to end my session. Dying for a hot cuppa and sausage sandwich anyway 🙂

Mmmmmmm sausage

Just come in after a session on Mars with the Skywatcher 200p Dob. I would stay out longer but I have work in the morning :(

Now, first year I’ve looked at Mars but this is the best I’ve seen it. Seeing not ideal (there’s still a screaming jetstream) but Mars is almost a disc, the north polar hood was clearly visible and I could just get to 300x over which things got fuzzy. Various albedo features visible - looking at a Mars map the Mare Acidalium area just south of the North Pole stood out well. And a band of several dark patches running east west below the South Pole. My daughter was impressed too and it immediately got a “wow”. 

With Mars you’ve really got to spend time at the eyepiece to get the most out of what you’re looking at. I have a DIY EQ platform which keeps everything in the centre of the eyepiece - really makes a difference. 

• Like 9

Lovely evening with the Mewlon 210. Tweaked collimation very slightly , now spot on.

Lovely view of the GRS transit earlier in the evening. What a beautiful coral pink it is. Lots of belt details.

Then on to Mars. Seeing was reasonable, but afforded some of the best views I’ve had. Ever. Best mag was x300 (Ethos 8mm). Mare Acidalium very dark, especially in contrast to the polar cap, with its hood. Lots of detail at the N edge of of the dark regions in the south. Think partly was Sinus Meridiani.

03D98BDA-A6E3-4FBF-BF88-CA8258B0BF80.thumb.jpeg.f742b2437c33d4223fc4117454962935.jpeg

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 14

Just spent most of the evening out with the 150PL. Jupiter was disappointing, not the best I've seen. Pretty poor clarity and so-so seeing earlier on, I couldn't use over x75 on it. I had a look at a few doubles, clusters and the moon whilst waiting for Mars to climb to a decent altitude (had a look early on and it was just a bright orange blob). Managed a low-down look at the Orion nebula, first time this year. Always good to see an old favourite.

By the time Mars was up to 50 degrees or so, the clarity had improved noticeably and I got the best views I've had...so far! Hopefully the best is yet to come. Managed to wind up the mag to x266 and spent a good while getting those moments to build up some detail.

• Like 9

One of those, "I should have set up the telescope" nights here. Contrary to the forecast, seeing is OK despite the 85% waning gibbous moon contributing to the light pollution. Still, I wasn't ready for bed and the wind had dropped sufficiently to consider sitting out in my observing corner with the Opticron 10x50s.

Keeping to a chunk of sky between Aries and Lunar picking out the Orion Nebula, rather lack lustre Auriga clusters, Pleaides, & Hyades which always shows quite well in the binoculars despite the light pollution. Mars was, well round and pink...

I was quite pleased to triangulate the position of Uranus using the stars Botein and Epsilon Arietis. The planet was very faint but definitely there!

Toward the end of the session I deviated from my chosen area of sky to check out M31 and was rather surprised to see a slight elongated shape rather than just a bright round splodge of core.

Finally I finished on Lunar.  Quite the wonderful sight in binoculars. Observing several of the larger 'old familiars' along the terminator.

A nice hour out. Very peaceful in between cars and scallies using up their remaining fireworks!

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 12

Last Night was misty, but some of the most stable atmospheric conditions I have experienced recently, in fact one of the rare occasions the 14in Newtonian gave a better view of Mars than the Esprit 150. North Polar Hood stood out quite nicely and was easy to see visually.

Image taken using a ZWO ASI 462  Planetary Camera, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, 2.5x Powermate giving f12.5, 2 minute exposure, 13,000 frames @111 fps, processed in AutosSakkert and Registax, plus a bit of final polishing in Lightroom.

Mars 1 Reprocessed.jpg

Edited by johnturley
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, johnturley said:

Last Night was misty, but some of the most stable atmospheric conditions I have experienced recently, in fact one of the rare occasions the 14in Newtonian gave a better view of Mars than the Esprit 150. North Polar Hood stood out quite nicely and was easy to see visually.

Image taken using a 2.5x Powermate (f12.5), 2 minute exposure, 13,000 frames 111 fps, processed in AutosSakkert and Registax. 

Mars 1_Au.jpg

Lovely shot, nicely confirms what I was seeing visually...if I squint a lot at it!

• Like 4