Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did you see tonight?

Ags

Bit late with this one but on Thursday after a week of thinking about it I quit my job as it has not been good for my mental health/anxiety or stress levels. The same night it happened to also be fortuitously clear, so I popped out for an hour or two to observe and also reflect (although I was using a 102mm frac - I suppose the diagonal counts 😂

M12 which was somewhat surprising considering I couldn't get it in Bortle 4 week or two ago. Some thin clouds turned up, moving me further West. 

M3 was a little unimpressive, but I can't work out if this is just a product of thin clouds or being back in LP skies after a week in the countryside. 

Saturn was on the rise so I moved completely away from the potential clouds. Technically the second observation with this scope but the first was early morning and not dark enough to truly enjoy. Swimming a bit in haze over the rooftops but still a lovely sight. Couldn't make out the Cassini division. 

Jupiter too low down, so carried on with Saturn for a while until Jupiter was better placed. NEB and SEB now very clear, in lucky moments in the shimmer. 
Galilean moons hung like tiny coloured pin heads, thanks to the atmosphere. I swapped between 71x and 159x, with more moments of clarity at 71x but more discernable detail at 159x due to darkening. Probably should have Barlowed my 17.5mm Morpheus to get 103x but didn't really fancy faffing about. No discernable GRS. I can't wait for Jupiter to be higher in the sky later this year, the fleeting moments of clarity were wonderful in this scope. 

It got light so time for bed, but just before finishing I spied Mars just above the horizon. As expected, a tiny red misshapen blob!

Edited by badhex
  • Like 16

I had my best ever views of M 17, the Swan Nebula in Sagittarius last night. What a wonderful nebula, I could clearly see the Swan shape and "neck". Examining M 17 at 343x revealed a brighter patch within the nebula just below the "neck". A highly recommended object!

• Like 8

Took out the Skymax and Bresser refractor tonight, mainly to compare the performance of my two 2" 30mm EPs for a different thread.

Seing was very jumpy for the first hour but I did split Xi Scorpii at 1.1".  I took in a few open clusters in Ophiuchus and Aquila, the best being IC 4665. The milky way was very prominent tonight, and skies seemed surprisingly dark for the time of year. I took a first reading with my new SQM, which said 20.67. Not nearly as good as the web sites say for here (~21.3).

• Like 7

I looked at Jupiter at 5:30am this morning and the seeing was excellent. Luckily the planer was still visible in the 9x50 finderscope so I could point the Skymax to it. Because of the bright sky I could not spot more than the two main belts and some subtle shading in the rest of the planet. Jupiter was rock steady and I spotted Europa just next to it. Wish I had looked a bit earlier when it was still dark.

• Like 9

Southampton. Skywatcher Skyliner 200p Dob. Morning of 5/07/22.

I started observing at about 3am. Saturn first as it was in a good position. Seeing was OK but I’d hoped for better. Certainly not as good as June 15th. I could just make out the Cassini division and some subtle banding on the planet. Plus a couple of moons. Spent some time observing, seeing improved a little. 

Jupiter - could easily make out banding with the GRS just visible although disappearing towards the limb. Galilean moons strung out in a line. Then, at about 4:20am I noticed a shadow transit - Europa - which was unexpected and a nice surprise. Looked like a hole had been punched into the planet. 

Sunrise was rapidly approaching and Mars just clearing the trees. First look at Mars was disappointing as it was really just a small tiny blob with little detail. However, as sunrise approached seeing improved. I could make out the southern polar ice cap but it seemed smaller than when I saw it on June 15th. Certainly less pronounced. And there was some darker markings near the middle.

After sunrise I went back and forth between Mars and Jupiter. Even at 5pm the shadow of Europa was well defined. With some sunlight the view of Mars seemed to improve a little. 

To end the morning I took a look at Venus which was very low and just approaching those annoying trees. Not much more than a blob with a slight phase but definitely worth a look. 

Finally packed up at about 5:30am. Still, quite a good morning and four planets observed. Worth getting up for.

PS - almost forgot. I got a very good view and pass of the ISS too!

Edited by PeterStudz
Added ISS
  • Like 8

The Moon, until it set behind a rooftop. Beta Lyr, which is a bit of a fave with me at the moment, then down and left a bit to M29 and then NGC 6910 next to Gamma Cyg.

Change of direction, as Bootes was well placed, so I had a look at Sky Safari to see what was in the neighbourhood. I went for M3, taking a longish star hop, helped by the ability to flip the orientation in the app. The cluster was clearly visible, but not resolved in direct vision, and only maybe in averted.

Then I swung right back again to Cygnus (funny how it's lying on its side at this time of year), and just swept around in the rich star fields for a relaxing way to finish the session.

• Like 4

Just had an hour looking at the Mare Nectaris area with the 12". The Rupes Altai and Theophilus are really well illuminated. Seeing wasn't very good - the moon is quite low above the rooftops - so limited to x190 with the 8mm LVW (a lovely eyepiece that one).

I'm pleased to say the EQ platform makes observing with a Dob so much more comfy 👍

• Like 6

Quick hop outside to see Jupiter rise with the 7x50 Aculons and could just about see some moons pop out against the light blue background. I am sure i saw at least 2, maybe 3. Wont say there was a 4th. Very difficult to spot since the skies are lit up so brightly but its something at least!

Also, some noctilucent cloud. Last year i had seen NLCs with vibrant spinal structures and filaments on filaments several times by July, but this year they have eluded me and these ones are the best ones so far. Didn't think of imaging them back then, thought they were more common but i managed to snap a picture of them this time with a 550D and a kit lens. 6 quick panels stitched in microsoft ICE:

1372500132_IMG_9480_stitchcopy.thumb.jpg.20ca26b995c319707fadd225f92cf6fc.jpg

• Like 9

I might as well continue my abject failure that is not bringing binoculars on holidays to Portugal.  On the one hand I'm not likely to end up in the dock at the holiday complex, on the other I desperately want to see more!

Tonight I have to contend with an appoximstely 50% illuminated moon with no optical aids other than my glasses and -8 in each eye.

I was definitely able to identify Scorpius.  No doubts this time.  It was nice that this time it was familiar even though it was in a different region of the sky.

Ursa Major was as ever easy to identify, and as an added bonus my daughter mentioned the north star so I was able to explain how to find it from the plough.  Hopefully she won't realise I only have known this for months.  Or maybe it's better she knows that I'm still learning...

South West  is fairly open from the hotel complex and the moon is obliterating everything to the west.  So I made an attempt at opiuchus.  I was able to discern his lower half and halfway up Serpens neck.  I would go so far as to say I identified unukalhai, however I could go no further.  Light pollution, the moon and free pouring rum limited my seeing to around magnitude 3.  This is undoubtedly a combination of on site lighting and my own inexperience.  Still, I know a lot more than I did yesterday and a new constellation was familiar (hello Scorpius) so I'm calling it a win.

Can't wait till I get a scope for doing this!

• Like 6

Just had a look at the moon through the 12". Seeing is really poor. Not wobbly, just blurred.

Now in a pause. Quite a chunk of alto cumulus has come across. Looks clear the other side though.

• Like 3

Interesting, the forecasts are saying that seeing should be good again tonight, and the jet stream is well out of the way.
But perhaps you are seeing heat disturbances? I hope it's just that. I'm going out later.

• Like 1

The seeing has been excellent for me tonight, as good as last night certainly.  Two long sessions with my recently acquired APM ED152 have been impossible to resist.  Several Galaxies, a handful of Globular clusters , and plenty of star splitting as well as Lunar earlier this evening.  There have been some cloud banks around but have passed quickly enough.  Just waiting now for  Jupiter to gain some altitude which will finish the session nicely.

• Like 2

I would say seeing here not quite as good as when I was out on Tuesday, but still decent. Similar story with transparency.

I took in some new doubles, and some planetaries, finishing with the Little Dumbell.

• Like 2

Skies looked promising so took the 10” Dob early for cooling. Enjoyed a quick view of the 1st quarter moon, just as some attractive pink/purple sunset clouds were passing, making for a pleasant start. As the skies darkened somewhat more crater detail was on offer, but conditions far from ideal - transparency and seeing both appeared poor. I also spent some of this time checking the new RACI finderscope was all in order.

I popped out again later at around 23.20. Sadly the sky was very cloudy by now, and only 3-4 stars were visible by naked eye (including Vega and Arcturus). I really didn’t hold out much hope for the StarSense but it still gained a lock swiftly - impressive! A good test of its ability to plate solve under sub optimal conditions. 

The cloudy skies meant it was going to be a limited quick session. Took in M3, M13, and my first view of M10 in Ophiucus. The latter was very faint initially and didn’t improve much on account of the lack of proper darkness and cloud, but nevertheless as my eyes became slightly more dark adapted I was able to make out structure, with a pleasing number of stars resolved towards the edges. 
I finished with a quick look at “crowd pleaser” Albireo - clear and sharp as ever. Called it a night just before midnight. 

Not bad for a quick impromptu session, but hoping for more at the weekend without work to get up for in the mornings!

• Like 13

I think it is clear out, but there is a major fire at a recycling dump upwind of me and the air outside smells a bit toxic... My phone has been shrieking this evening with the NL civic alert system.

• Sad 2

Had a good look at the Hortensius domes, they are perfectly illuminated close to the terminator at the moment. Copernicus looks splendid as well. The moon is low in the sky and after sunset there were some thermals, so I stayed at moderate magnifications: x100 to x125.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Nik271 said:

Had a good look at the Hortensius domes, they are perfectly illuminated close to the terminator at the moment. Copernicus looks splendid as well. The moon is low in the sky and after sunset there were some thermals, so I stayed at moderate magnifications: x100 to x125.

Nice, Nik.  I had a brief session y'day around 9pm - Plato near the terminator, and the Alpine Valley.  I used x60, 75.  Much higher and the view went all shimmery!

Doug.

• Like 1

Beautiful clear skies last night enabled a relaxing observing session with both the 10” Dob and Heritage 150p.

In setting up I stumbled across the Coathanger asterism almost accidentally using the Heritage and thought it would be interesting to compare the view using different focal length eyepieces and between the two ‘scopes. I actually thought the best view in some respects was through the RACI finderscope on the bigger Dob as it gave such a wide field of view.

I then focussed on two globular clusters in Ophiucus - M10  and M12. Both excellent targets in the 10” using the 25mm X-Cel and then moving in closer with an 8mm BST. In comparing the two targets, the looser nature of M12 versus the more concentrated M10 was clear. I was particularly keen to return to M10 after the “teaser” view I had earlier in the week when cloud impacted quite heavily.  

I then moved over to Scutum to enjoy  M11 (Wild Duck cluster) which looked stunning, and finished on deep sky by having a really good immersive longer look at M13 (absolutely gorgeous  with the 8mm).

At around 1.30am at this point I could see Saturn in perfect viewing position so moved the Heritage 150p to a slightly higher vantage point and enjoyed a lovely sharp view of the planet for 15 minutes or so before calling it a night.

Excellent session!

Edited by Astro_Dad
  • Like 10

Astro_Dad

Congratulations for the excellent session !

I use also X Cel 25mm on my 10 inch Dobsonian and for a closer view I use a TS UWA 7mm for 171x. I used this pair of eyepieces last Spring to see many galaxies in Virgo and Coma.

On the eight inch Dobsonian I prefer LV 30mm and the Baader zoom Mark III.

Of the two clusters, my favorite is M12 because of the context, of the richer starry background.

Clear sky, Mircea

X Cel 25mm+TS UWA 7mm.jpg

Edited by Mircea
  • Thanks 1

Dog woke me at 3.30 barking in the garden, went downstairs to see him sitting outside locked back door! How the hell did he get out there? Suddenly realised that I hadn't closed the lounge sliding door last night...thanks for waking me Archie! Standing looking outside I suddenly realised there was Jupiter brilliant in a perfectly clear dawn sky. The only scope at hand was the venerable Orion 80ED on an AZ5 in the kitchen. Grabbed it and took it outside and had a perfect view with the Baader zoom at 8mm. North and south equatorial belts very clear and 4 moons. I then realised that I only had a pair of shorts on and was feeling a bit chilly. I should really have dug the 127 Mak out of the garage, maybe tomorrow.

Edited by LaurenceT
only saw 4 moons, not 5!
  • Like 5