Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did you see tonight?

Ags

Agnes

I like very much your idea about using the RDF as a virtual Sulafat. I use RDF at every observation.

Unless the telescope is big, M56 could be a tricky, dim object.

I remember when I was working to complete the Messier Catalog with my five inch Dobsonian. That was before the implementation of LED street lights. So the sky was pretty dark but I needed three evenings to find and see M56.

On a bright sky it should be a challenge even more. I wish you good luck at finding M56 !

The SW 4mm eyepiece I mentioned is ( I believe ) a Planetary, quite similar to my TMB 2.5mm.

badhex

Maybe you should try a higher magnification.

I do most of my observations from the city.

Last night = miracle !!!  NGC 3628 was visible with direct vision in my ten inch Dobsonian but at 171x.

At 48x, obtained with X Cel 25mm, it is always invisible.

So for me, most of the time, the ''Leo Triplet'' is actually the ''Leo Doublet'' in either my eight inch or my ten inch Dobsonian.

Clear sky, Mircea

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mircea said:

Agnes

I like very much your idea about using the RDF as a virtual Sulafat. I use RDF at every observation.

Unless the telescope is big, M56 could be a tricky, dim object.

I remember when I was working to complete the Messier Catalog with my five inch Dobsonian. That was before the implementation of LED street lights. So the sky was pretty dark but I needed three evenings to find and see M56.

On a bright sky it should be a challenge even more. I wish you good luck at finding M56 !

The SW 4mm eyepiece I mentioned is ( I believe ) a Planetary, quite similar to my TMB 2.5mm.

badhex

Maybe you should try a higher magnification.

I do most of my observations from the city.

Last night = miracle !!!  NGC 3628 was visible with direct vision in my ten inch Dobsonian but at 171x.

At 48x, obtained with X Cel 25mm, it is always invisible.

So for me, most of the time, the ''Leo Triplet'' is actually the ''Leo Doublet'' in either my eight inch or my ten inch Dobsonian.

Clear sky, Mircea

Thanks Mircea. I did push up to 71x, although I'm only using a 102mm frac so I suspect those faint galaxies just might not be achievable in my Bortle 7/8 skies. I'll give it another shot though! 

• Like 2

A decent evening/morning here - the seeing was good, transparency quite good, the occasional wisp of cloud and of course not fully dark.

But I managed some new doubles, including  Σ1837 at 1.1",  Mu Librae at 2.0" and Theta Virginis, wider but with a mag diff of 5.

Finished with a scan of Markarian's Chain, not quite as distinct as the last time I saw it (early April last year), but M84 and M86 were quite obvious, and I convinced myself I could just make out NGC4388 with averted vision.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Zermelo said:

CO has been on usual form today too.

A few hours ago, it was showing 100% low cloud here for the whole of today and through to dawn tomorrow. Everywhere else I looked was saying clear.
MetCheck seems particularly bullish:

image.png.f94c83cc5c13cf7902112e0bf759db43.png

And just now CO has shown up late to the party, but did at least bring along a decent bottle:

image.png.9bd2f02e9615b80ecdaa66d06f8ab909.png

No astro dark here now, but it should be worth a look.

For me, Metcheck was spot on, but CO was totally wrong tonight.

A beautiful night with good seeing and transparency, and low humidity.

I'm going to continue imaging until 2:30 unless my batteries run out.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

A decent evening/morning here - the seeing was good, transparency quite good, the occasional wisp of cloud and of course not fully dark.

But I managed some new doubles, including  Σ1837 at 1.1",  Mu Librae at 2.0" and Theta Virginis, wider but with a mag diff of 5.

Finished with a scan of Markarian's Chain, not quite as distinct as the last time I saw it (early April last year), but M84 and M86 were quite obvious, and I convinced myself I could just make out NGC4388 with averted vision.

I often find that both the seeing and transparency are best on these nights between weather systems and cloud banks.

When there is a settled high pressure, It always seems very murky and wobbly.

A good night of Messier chasing - in the end 7 added to the tally including, at last, M7 the most Southerly in the catalogue. 
First views this year of the Sagittarius region too. Had thought to wait up for the Mars Jupiter conjunction before dawn but numb fingers & the need for refreshments overtook at around 2am. 

Highlight of the night M6 & 7 - pretty open clusters that I’ve not  managed to catch above the horizon before. 

• Like 6

As well as other objects I saw M11 - wild duck cluster - at last, after trying for the 1st time last year and failing. Had to wait until about 2am but worth it.

I think I was expecting something larger and probably went right past it. It’s a lovely sight at medium power and can imagine that it would look very nice in a dark sky. 

Edited by PeterStudz
Spelling
  • Like 8

I set up for some doubles last night with a 102mm f7 reflector and 17.3mm and 3.5mm Delos (for 41x ands 204x). I had some of the showcase doubles from the Cambridge Double Star Atlas saved in a list in Sky Safari. I line up my finders using Vega and  have a quick look at M57 to check the conditions. M57 looks really solid so I end up looking at that for a while and then dropping down to see if I can see M56. I do see M56 - clear in averted vision and sketchy in direct vision. I then go straight up to the 3.5mm Delos and go back to M57 not expecting much but there it is with some structure which I was not expecting to see, this was great. I go back down to M56 but could not see it this time as it was too spread out by the magnification.  I used up most of my time on these distractions so only got a quick look at the "other" double double STF2474 and STF2470. A very nice view, the two pairs were very far apart in the field and I would have been better off at lower magnification but I tend to pick an eyepiece for a session and mostly stick with it rather than spend time changing eyepieces for the perfect view of each thing. 

A good session and the first time on Lyra DSOs this season. I also had a quick sweep across the area of Deneb/Sadr/Albireo but a proper go at Cygnus will have to wait for another time.

• Like 12

16 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

As well as other objects I saw M11 - wild duck cluster - at last, after trying for the 1st time last year and failing. Had to wait until about 2am but worth it.

I think I was expecting something larger and probably went right past it. It’s a lovely sight at medium power and can imagine that it would look very nice in a dark sky. 

Hey Peter. M 11 is a beauty, one of my favourite open clusters!

Joe

• Like 1

Andrew, I just found your post.  Just a couple of minutes ago I pm'd you, also mentioning M13 in the SW.

As you say, M13 is stunning in a ten inch scope, I didn't know you hadn't seen it in a 10 inch when I messaged you.  It's one of those landmarks you will never forget.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

First light with my new Dob - will write more but M13 ! Simply spectacular, first viewing of the Great Globular this year and first time ever with a 10” aperture. Quite breathtaking. 

My first ever view of M13 was through a 12" under pretty dark skies. I was blown away 🤯

• Like 2

I've only been viewing from my front garden, which is north facing, for a couple of months so a lot of the targets that everyone else is used to are new to me.

Last night was mostly cloudless, except for a little high haze. I was determined to have a look at the Ring Nebula before the sky at sensible observing times got too light for it...and success! Using my StellaLyra 8" dob and a variety of EPs, the Ring was visible but it was a little disappointing as even at gone 11pm, the sky was too light. Increasing mag just made a fuzzy circle into a larger fuzzy circle and I couldn't be bothered to wait another hour or two, so I switched to double stars around Cygnus and Lyra. First up was Albireo, which was the first time I've seen it through a decent scope. It was as gorgeous as everyone says it is, with the orange and blue colours plain, especially at 240x mag with my Pentax XW 5mm.

Next, I went to Vega, then Epsilon Lyrae, the double double. This split well into four stars. Then I found Delta Lyrae. I wanted to move on to Struve 2470 and 2474, but by this time cloud was covering the constellations, so I had to pack up. I was well chuffed with what I saw, though, even though most of you probably find it old hat! 😄

• Like 15

1 hour ago, cajen2 said:

I've only been viewing from my front garden, which is north facing, for a couple of months so a lot of the targets that everyone else is used to are new to me.

Last night was mostly cloudless, except for a little high haze. I was determined to have a look at the Ring Nebula before the sky at sensible observing times got too light for it...and success! Using my StellaLyra 8" dob and a variety of EPs, the Ring was visible but it was a little disappointing as even at gone 11pm, the sky was too light. Increasing mag just made a fuzzy circle into a larger fuzzy circle and I couldn't be bothered to wait another hour or two, so I switched to double stars around Cygnus and Lyra. First up was Albireo, which was the first time I've seen it through a decent scope. It was as gorgeous as everyone says it is, with the orange and blue colours plain, especially at 240x mag with my Pentax XW 5mm.

Next, I went to Vega, then Epsilon Lyrae, the double double. This split well into four stars. Then I found Delta Lyrae. I wanted to move on to Struve 2470 and 2474, but by this time cloud was covering the constellations, so I had to pack up. I was well chuffed with what I saw, though, even though most of you probably find it old hat! 😄

Nice report . To be honest I think none of us tire at seeing the same things in the sky . Sometimes they are the  "comfort" targets that turn a good evenings viewing into a great one 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Nice report . To be honest I think none of us tire at seeing the same things in the sky . Sometimes they are the  "comfort" targets that turn a good evenings viewing into a great one 

I fully agree with you, Stu1smartcookie !

I learned from Rod Mollise's book ''Urban Astronomer's Guide'' to look at the end of every observation to a well known showpiece object as a final ''lollypop'' for the eye and soul.

If  the observation went well, the ''lollypop'' object will add to the beauties already seen.

If things went not so well, seeing an old friend always offer comfort.

cajen2

Please let me make a suggestion, I see you are well equipped for the task.

Admiral Smyth was  talking in his book  ''A Cycle of Celestial Objects'' about two dim stars, located between Epsilon 1 and Epsilon 2 in Lyra. He call them ''debillissima''. Those stars are quite dim but fully accessible to an eight inch telescope.

The 5mm eyepiece and 240x magnification will be of great help. 

I have a cat that kept me company on most of my observations for the last 14 years. One can see her in the picture below and it is obviously an astronomess because is very familiar with astronomical equipment. 

But this is coming at a cost.

I am the one who should wake up very early, at five o'clock, or four o'clock to let her out. Regardless I just ended an observation at two o'clock.

My wife is shaking me up with just two words ''your cat''. Yes, it is mine ...

This was the case on May 22, when at five o'clock I had to let the cat out. Because of this duty of mine, I owe to my cat most of my early in the morning observations.

I noticed Jupiter above Eastern horizon with Mars to the South of it. I took quickly the phone and made some pictures. My computer was breakdown last week-end, only now I was able to enhance the pictures.

The image of Mars seen on the brightening sky was dim for my naked eyes and even more for the camera of the phone. 

I show you the result. I adjusted the contrast in GIMP.

Clear sky, Mircea

DSCN8127_695.thumb.JPG.7ca9cf464eefcdf47c17f386337c2ef0.JPG

Jupiter-Mars.May22.2022.jpg

Jupiter-Mars.May22.2022.txt.jpg

• Like 6

15 hours ago, cajen2 said:

I was well chuffed with what I saw, though, even though most of you probably find it old hat! 😄

Not at all!

We've all been newish to our wonderful hobby, and reading these reports really refreshed my enthusiasm, especially when I haven't  been able to get out much recently..

One person's "Old Hat" is another's brand new " Peaky Blinder's Cap"!!😊👍

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone. I previously observed from my front garden, where I could get great views of Orion, etc in the winter, so a whole hemisphere of sky is quite new to me.

So the council fixing the streetlight in the front actually did me a favour!

• Like 5

Last night the sky was cloudy. I made observations through sucker holes with the ten inch Dobsonian.

In such conditions one cannot follow a plan while observing. Just to jump from one patch of clear sky to another one. It is annoying but it develop the knowledge of constellations. 

I started at Algieba were there is more to see , not only AB.

I was able to see companions B,C,D,E but failed again at F. This is a dim 12.95 magnitude star, located at 149'' from companion C. Maybe next time ...

Other observations in Leo:  93 Leo, 90 Leo, 81 Leo, 88 Leo.  90 Leo/ STF 1552 is a very fine triple star ; STF 1517, separation 0.75'', beautiful split at 300x/ SW Planetary 4mm.

Bootes: Izar and STF 1825, a double located very close, to the North of Arcturus, Pi Boo, Xi Boo

Ursa Major: Alcor-Mizar, STT 235 / separation 0.97'',  STF 1544, Alula Australis, Alula Borealis

CVn : Cor Caroli

Lyra : Epsilon 1-2 with components A,B,C,D, F,E and I; Zeta Ly, Beta Lyr.  M57 as a smoke ring.

Dra : the asterism of double-multiple stars I call ''Sigil Smaug" : Nu - Mu - 16+17 - 39 - Omicron- STF 2438, separation 0.86'' - STF 2433. 

Grumium / Xi Dra, located between Nu Dra and 39 Dra would be the neck of Dragon, who wear  ''Sigil Smaug''. Last night I  saw  Grumium as a white star of intense pink hue.

Also the companion of Omicron seem to be of pink color. ( Maybe it was my Pink Day  or Night!? )

Her: M13 was the last object a beautiful one at 205x/ Radian 6mm.

At start of the observation I tried to take star pictures with my humble point and shut camera.

I succeeded to capture only Leo, the Lyon as seen above my Hobitton.

Clear sky, Mircea

Leo.May30.2022.JPG

Leo.May30.2022.txt.3D.png

• Like 8

A brightish night of doubles tonight, will write up a report tomorrow but the highlight was observing Zeta Herc’s companion (elongation no split) with the Tak 76DC and 2x barlowed Pentax 5XW. Extremely satisfying result! 

• Like 4

Short, garden widefield session with ST80 & 31mm Baader Hyperion on board (13x). 
Seeing and transparency both fit for purpose between thickening cloud bands. 

Toured the available Messiers: Open clusters M39, M29 in Cygnus.  Planetary Nebulae M27, M57. Globular clusters M13, M10 & M12. Even got a galaxy, M94.  
Split Albireo, Cor Caroli, Mizar and Omicron Cygnii along the way and enjoyed  super widefield views of the Milky Way around Cygnus, Lyra, the whole of Delphinius in one field and a super look at the Coathanger cluster.  
Well worth staying up an hour late for - still love my 2inch converted ST80 on the Manfrotto 55 for a quick ad hoc tour! 

• Like 8

Seeing was iffy for the first half of the session tonight, with the Mak. It did settle a bit towards the end and I split some tighter doubles, though still jumpy. Even a couple at 0.9" were showing elongation.
But I was most pleased with SAO 19665, wide at 11.8", but the companion is only +10.36, nearly four mags dimmer than the primary. I could just make it out as a pinprick in averted vision, with a Morpheus at x167.
No astro dark now, but the transparency seemed to be very good. I don't think I've seen as much structure in the milky way here before.

• Like 9