SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did you see tonight?

Ags

Last night started out with some cloud and I was going to pass, but the cloud cleared just after I got setup and I managed a mammoth 5 hour session!

I’ve been wondering how far I could go with EEVA, whether the Explorer 150PDS could show me structure and colour in small faint galaxies and nebulae (particularly PNs) like it can with the larger brighter ones. I needed to use a Barlow (the Baader Hyperion Zoom Barlow which gives me x2.4 in the camera), but that makes the scope too slow (F12), so I was thinking that 2x2 binning might counter that and get me back closer to F5 performance. And so it did …

M1 Crab Nebula Really well framed and after 5 minutes of live stacking (4s, x400, 2x2) I was seeing plenty of structure and colour with the Visible filter. With the UHC filter most of the structure disappeared. Not normally the case with this filter so I must be pushing the optics to the limit.

Mars I took some captures of the Planet for later post processing. EEVA isn’t so good for Planets.

NGC1514 Crystal Ball Nebula (PN) Even after a few frames (4s, x400, 2x2) I could see the extent of the nebula.

NGC2346 Butterfly Nebula (PN) Small but with bright colours. Looks pretty good.

NGC2359 Thor’s Helmet Very faint with just a hint of the extent of the nebula.

NGC2841 Tiger’s Eye Galaxy Well framed, the galaxy had a bright centre and a wider smudge, slightly better than the visual view of a (much bigger / brighter galaxy), but with almost no visible structure. So EEVA eventually becomes like visual but with much smaller / fainter objects.

NGC3079 Phantom Frisbee Galaxy Nice looking galaxy which is nicely framed but the Moon cast too much light pollution.

M82 Looking for something with definite structure a little further from the Moon, I slewed to M82. After only a few frames it looked good and after more I could see way more detail than I’ve ever seen.

M97 Owl Nebula (PN) I could just make out the extent and colour of the nebula against quite a noisy background.

M108 Surfboard Galaxy The hint of some detail in this galaxy but unfortunately softened by noise.

Moon It was wobbling quite a bit but the view with the IR Pass filter and with auto white balance was quite good, on a par with visual viewing. EEVA is OK for the Moon, and it’s nice to have an online Moon atlas alongside the real thing to learn what I’m observing.

Comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF) The highlight of the evening. It’s been hiding behind the house so far and earlier in the session it was too high for the mount to reach with the Explorer 150PDS. I looked up its location and slewed to it. Nothing there, so I plate solved and slewed again and the comet appeared. Like a really bright star surrounded by lots of haze, just slightly more to one side. Obvious against the star field. I’d downloaded SharpCap v4.1 beta to try the new comet tracking feature and it just worked without any fuss, keeping the comet centred while all of the stars became gradually dimming lines. Amazing to watch.

CometC2022E3ZTF_1.thumb.png.ab0468d1eea64cadde59231d1836ef38.png

• Like 11

15 hours ago, Nakedgun said:

~

Clear skies forecast with improved seeing around 2100, so I had everything set up before dark. Went outside 1830 to have a look at the Green Comet before Moonrise. It was pretty much straight overhead, easy to find. Used 6.5x32s, then 16x mounted, then the scope. After a few minutes I then sat with a double star catalog to plan my next move, looked up to find the sky half filled with fast-moving thin cloud! Within 30 minutes the whole sky was a mess.

What a gyp!

~

Forecast of clear skies again, tonight. Shall I try again?

I managed to see by naked eye and image with my Dob the Bluewalker3 satellite. It is 'scary' how bright it is, I would say mag1-2 (it resembled a very dim ISS transit) . Not good for the hobby all these bright satellites. I have posted  in the imaging session more images.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/406336-bluewalker-3-satellite-8223/

image.png.cfa23d6021c487a90467e349193e217c.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 9

A very enjoyable garden session last night with the GSO 10" Dob inspired by things I'd been reading on SGL earlier in the day - I'll write a separate report but it was a varied evening looking at clusters, touring Orion and sketching the comet. Along the way I tested my new Stellalyra 30mm UFF in the Dob - and it was good....    There was even a little bit of drama at the end, fortunately no Dob damage was sustained!   More in a separate report later but a super mid-week session before the cloud closed in!  

194C1F67-591C-418B-ADF7-3F0FF29436E7.jpeg

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 7

Just a one in from an enjoyable session with my Skymax 90mm on AZ5 before the clouds start rolling in.  Let the scope cool down whilst having a peak at Jupiter and Venus. Then after cooling down took in my usual subjects of M42, Castor and Mintaka to get my eye in. Mainly keeping the 32mm in and trying occasionally the 20mm possl. I did try my helios 21.5-7.2mm a zoom in the doubles but not giving as good as a 32 or 20mm was (think I'll just use this one on the Moon and planets from now on). Took in a view of Comet C2022 E3 ZTF and seemed quite bright. Then I went on a different tour and took in the beehive cluster and the double cluster in Perseus. I eventually found M31 using a combination of my Rigel qf and 9x50 raci fs, the first time I've seen it with my eyes and wow. Then to M33, just making it out. I did move along and hopped to Uranus and think I got it? Though not sure. Turned around 180° to Dubhe to help hunt down M81&82 which I found and was blown away I could make out the thin side on of M82. Of course these were all grey smudges with hints of brighter cores. I was amazed with such a lovely session I had, all manual and star hopping which gave me a good sense of accomplishment. Now is there such a thing as the slippery slope for visual astronomy as I began thinking hmm I'd like a Widefield refractor a nice st 80 would be great, then I'd still like to have my 90mm mak on, so a skytee would be nice too. I'm not worried about ep yet as I'm happy with my plossls from FLO 😊, sorry for my ramblings but I'm mainly an imager but relish the good times I'm having on the nights when imaging is futile. 

Lee

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 12

32 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Just a one in from an enjoyable session with my Skymax 90mm on AZ5 before the clouds start rolling in.  Let the scope cool down whilst having a peak at Jupiter and Venus. Then after cooling down took in my usual subjects of M42, Castor and Mintaka to get my eye in. Mainly keeping the 32mm in and trying occasionally the 20mm possl. I did try my helios 21.5-7.2mm a zoom in the doubles but not giving as good as a 32 or 20mm was (think I'll just use this one on the Moon and planets from now on). Took in a view of Comet C2022 E3 ZTF and seemed quite bright. Then I went on a different tour and took in the beehive cluster and the double cluster in Perseus. I eventually found M31 using a combination of my Rigel qf and 9x50 raci fs, the first time I've seen it with my eyes and wow. Then to M33, just making it out. I did move along and hopped to Uranus and think I got it? Though not sure. Turned around 180° to Dubhe to help hunt down M81&82 which I found and was blown away I could make out the thin side on of M82. Of course these were all grey smudges with hints of brighter cores. I was amazed with such a lovely session I had, all manual and star hopping which gave me a good sense of accomplishment. Now is there such a thing as the slippery slope for visual astronomy as I began thinking hmm I'd like a Widefield refractor a nice st 80 would be great, then I'd still like to have my 90mm mak on, so a skytee would be nice too. I'm not worried about ep yet as I'm happy with my plossls from FLO 😊, sorry for my ramblings but I'm mainly an imager but relish the good times I'm having on the nights when imaging is futile. 

Lee

Good report Lee and you hit some reasonable targets too. With a faster ST80 you will yield a brighter, more detailed result on DSO galaxies & nebula. 

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Good report Lee and you hit some reasonable targets too. With a faster ST80 you will yield a brighter, more detailed result on DSO galaxies & nebula. 

Thank you Steve. It was great fun tonight. I'm thinking I could shorten my old 80mm F10 meade scope to a faster scope? Will Post in diy section.

Lee 

19 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Not sure, I've asked in diy section so will soon know 😊 or I'm just an idiot 😂

Lee 

Don't think you could do that mate, the lens arrangement in the scope will be set to focus at F10. It won't be a case of chopping it in half and making it F5.

You could install a 0.5 reducer and that would make it F5 but it would have to come to focus of course and a reducer tends to bring the focus point closer in sometimes preventing this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had the opportunity last night to compare two comets currently in two opposite parts of the sky. Comet C/2022 E3 ZTF in the north in Auriga and comet C/2017 K2 PANSTARRS in the south in Tucana . They are both currently listed at 6.1 magnitude. I used my 10 inch dobsonian.

ZTF was 25° up and looked bright with a star like nucleus surrounded by a bright green coma and showed a faint tail.

PANSTARRS was 31° up and was faintly visible, glowing feebly as a diffuse spot. No other features seen. 

So the winner of the cometary shoot out: C/2022 E3 ZTF!

Joe

• Like 10

From inside the house it looked clear so I scampered out hoping to get a quick bit of observing done.  Unfortunately there's this really thing high cloud about and even m42 looked garbage.  Mars was about the only viable target but the seeing was rather good so managed to screw the zoom up to 3mm with the baargain contrast booster.

Some nice surface features showing.  Need to try and get a sketch in before it gets too small.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

I had the opportunity last night to compare two comets currently in two opposite parts of the sky. Comet C/2022 E3 ZTF in the north in Auriga and comet C/2017 K2 PANSTARRS in the south in Tucana . They are both currently listed at 6.1 magnitude. I used my 10 inch dobsonian.

ZTF was 25° up and looked bright with a star like nucleus surrounded by a bright green coma and showed a faint tail.

PANSTARRS was 31° up and was faintly visible, glowing feebly as a diffuse spot. No other features seen. 

So the winner of the cometary shoot out: C/2022 E3 ZTF!

Joe

~

Last night from my Bortle ~6 backyard ZTF was an easy catch, and in my 50ED I saw a bit of a tail for the first time since observing it.

• Like 3

~

Today (Thursday) the Sun showed a great deal of sunspot activity, one group looking like a Pacific island chain.

;

IMGP0698.JPG.78f85b401e3f385932e8157dca967bfd.JPG

:

:

IMGP0700.JPG.3e1a11a243646a38407ee17f45bcbd9e.JPG

:

:

But, in Hydrogen-alpha, it was spectacular!

:

IMGP0697.thumb.JPG.42d10ac986d2b35dcacbfc46a1a5d05b.JPG

:

This was my first look at the sun in quite some time. It is quite active, now. Temp at mid-day ~76°F.

• Like 12

To windy for the imaging rig tonight so it was first light with my ST80 tonight and another really enjoyable session. I can see why this is a well revered scope. 

I started off with the 32mm and 20mm plossls. Then gave my helios 21.5-7.2 mm xoom lens and that's what I stuck with for the whole session. The ST80 seems very forgiving on this ep. As it was just getting dark I started on M42 to get my eye in and zoom in on the trapezium. Then up to M45 and wonderous to get the whole thing in the ep fov. A quick look at Mintaka to see how sharp the stars were and pinpoint. Then swing around to M31 and wow it looked amazing so much to cover with my averted vision. Stayed here quite a while to let my eyes adjust to it. I thought I'd give M81&82 a go and using the zoom eyepiece was a smooth experience and could really see some structure of the M81 galaxy. I did try for M106 but it is still covered by my flat and near a shielded streetlight. I zipped over to the beehive, then over to M35, M37 then to a really nice view of M36 & M38. These two I've never seen before. I then nipped down and just managed to see M50 just over a tree, I was really pleased to snag this one. 

I went back to M31 for a bit as it was much darker now, then up to the double cluster in Perseus both in the same fov. I went back to try M106 as it had moved enough but still beyond my limits atm. 

I finished off gawping at M42 and looked stunning with so much nebulousity showing and the wings really spreading out further down. 

All in all a fantastic time with my new scope and as I said really lovely to use with my zoom ep. All. Manual and star hopping to the targets in conjunction with sky safari and some fuzzies naked eye with averted vision (just) I'm really looking forward to my next visual session and seeing what other new delights to me I can bag. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 15

We had clearish skies last night so i grabbed the 16 inch and pulled it out into place.  By the time i was set up and ready clouds had hidden the Orion Nebula and the stars were not very bright.  I packed it in before i even had a chance. 

9 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Nice report , Lee …. I’ve been clouded out all weekend zzzz . The ST80 is a great little scope isn’t it . I rate all the ST “gang” … really great value . 
Stu

Thank you Stu, yes I love the ST80 and can imaging the rest of the ST gang are just as great 😊 

Lee 

• Like 2

Just had a good session on Venus with the 12".

Happy to report the variable polariser I just purchased works a treat and Venus has acceptable brightness with it rather than being overwhelmingly bright. Despite some atmospheric CA, the gibbous disc was clean at x217 with a hint of shade across the centre. Very nice!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

Just had a good session on Venus with the 12".

Happy to report the variable polariser I just purchased works a treat and Venus has acceptable brightness with it rather than being overwhelmingly bright. Despite some atmospheric CA, the gibbous disc was clean at x217 with a hint of shade across the centre. Very nice!

I got around Venus being bright by looking at it during the day. Some of the best views of Venus that I’ve had. I even got a smartphone snap taken at 13:50pm. Just as well as I’m now clouded out :(

FD25F144-D6F7-4D86-9764-57106FAE13FC.jpeg

• Like 9

LATE TO THE PARTY, BUT FINALLY SAW THE COMET (C/2022 E3(ZTF)!

I've seen so many reports of sightings, and have been keen to catch up, but the skies have been lousy.

Tonight however - good and clear.

I knew that at 7.00pm the comet was 0.5deg west of the open cluster NGC1647 in Taurus, so used GoTo with the 8SE Cat (with Reducer) and landed on the cluster.  The comet was very easy to see, close by.  It was just a small, faint, fuzzy patch - no colour or tail, but great to see anyway.  Bigger and clearer going from x36 to x107.

I called my wife out to share the excitement, since she has heard little else from me for several days.

Went on to take in some Taurus doubles - report elsewhere.

Very satisfying!

Doug.

• Like 10

Saw one of my fav sights in the entire sky! the trapezium in M42 may just be six stars (two very fain ones) and nothing to write home about but when seeing is good I cant tear my eyes away. In a 4" refractor E and F stars can be a challenge, last night seeing was good and  both E,F, were as usual at the very threshold of my vision but they were unmistakable and steady. There's something so satisfying about stars under good seeing, the four main stars of the trapezium were absolute laser sharp discs, unwavering, a wonderful sight against an inky black background. 

• Like 8