Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus surprise

Peter_D

Hi,

I just glanced out a south facing upstairs window. While most of the sky was cloudy, towards the horizon was clear and I saw Venus for the first time in a while. I have a Celestron C-90 Mak on an Az3 mount so it allowed me to set up discreetly and have a quick look. Luckily the house across from me had its shutters down!

Venus' 45 degree phase was clearly seen. I used a 25mm Kellner and a 12mm Ortho eyepiece. Looking forward to seeing the changes in the planet's phase in the coming weeks.

Clear skies

Peter

IMG_20211107_172207464~2.jpg

• Like 7

I got a good look at Venus last night at dusk , had to use 3 filters (green, cpl, moon &skyglow) and it really eliminated the glare enabling me to clearly see the phase .  Someone on SGL suggested viewing it when there is still ample  light  and it really worked well. 

• Like 2

I saw Venus last evening (17th Nov) for the first time in months.  Spotted it at around 203 deg azimuth, 8 deg altitude, in between rooftops to SSW at around 16.50pm. I first saw it from the bathroom window & managed to find a spot in the garden where I could view it with my 127mm Mak. Saw crescent.

4 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I saw Venus last evening (17th Nov) for the first time in months.  Spotted it at around 203 deg azimuth, 8 deg altitude, in between rooftops to SSW at around 16.50pm. I first saw it from the bathroom window & managed to find a spot in the garden where I could view it with my 127mm Mak. Saw crescent.

Me too low down between a house and trees not easy this year is it. Good catch