Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky Safari 7

Scooot

I also have a question about SS7 (and 6 too actually but I only discovered the issue when upgrading).

I’ve re-added all my “gear” in the equipment section. I’ve noticed a couple of errors in their pre-loaded stuff:

- TeleVue Ethos 4.7 SX and 3.7 SX eyepieces are actually 110 degree eyepieces, but SS has them as 100 degrees;

- In the CC and Barlow section, it only allows 1 decimal place for any Barlow effect. So the Paracorr2 cannot be set to 1.15x, it simply reverts to 1.1x;

I know neither will result in an egregious error when displaying FoV on-screen for a particular set-up, but I feel that if they’re there they might as well get it right.

So, my question: where does one point this sort of thing out? I see they have a forum but everything posted there seems to get drowned out and never commented on or seemingly read, there’s so much.

Cheers, Magnus

5 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

I also have a question about SS7 (and 6 too actually but I only discovered the issue when upgrading).

I’ve re-added all my “gear” in the equipment section. I’ve noticed a couple of errors in their pre-loaded stuff:

- TeleVue Ethos 4.7 SX and 3.7 SX eyepieces are actually 110 degree eyepieces, but SS has them as 100 degrees;

- In the CC and Barlow section, it only allows 1 decimal place for any Barlow effect. So the Paracorr2 cannot be set to 1.15x, it simply reverts to 1.1x;

I know neither will result in an egregious error when displaying FoV on-screen for a particular set-up, but I feel that if they’re there they might as well get it right.

So, my question: where does one point this sort of thing out? I see they have a forum but everything posted there seems to get drowned out and never commented on or seemingly read, there’s so much.

Cheers, Magnus

I haven’t posted anything on the forum lately but their technicians used to respond to it quite quickly and fix any bugs. Although that was before the change of ownership. 

I think this is the current link.

https://support.simulationcurriculum.com/hc/en-us/community/topics

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Oldfort said:

I’m a bit puzzled because my gear transferred across automatically.  Or maybe it was logging into Livesky that enabled it. 

That’s right, using LiveSky allows you to transfer your kit data across automatically rather than having to re enter it. Worth looking at @Captain Magenta

I assume you can edit the eyepiece afov value afterwards to correct it? Would be nice if it was right in the database but at least it would be right in your kit list.

I believe that even though the display only shows to one decimal place, the calculation is probably correct. I have entered fields of view with a few decimal places that don’t display properly as a number, but the FOV circle shown is correct.

I have posted on the forum and got responses, particularly on the AZGTi issues a while back. I also requested that the exit pupil calculation was added and that was done, so they do listen.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Haha now I’ve done the livesky thing and guess what, I suddenly have twice as much kit as before 🤦‍♂️ 

That’s a cheap way of getting more kit! 🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, Captain Magenta said:

Yes I was thinking I could sell it and the rest would all be free! Why has no one thought of this before?

Don’t tell anyone else, we could be into something here!

• Haha 1

Talking of equipment, am I right that ZWO Asi cameras aren’t listed or am I missing them somehow. I originally set them up as custom and thought they just hadn’t added them yet but I notice they’re still not there for some reason? 

24 minutes ago, Scooot said:

Talking of equipment, am I right that ZWO Asi cameras aren’t listed or am I missing them somehow. I originally set them up as custom and thought they just hadn’t added them yet but I notice they’re still not there for some reason? 

I can’t see them on the list. If you know the sensor specs then you should be able to set the camera up as a custom camera.

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

I can’t see them on the list. If you know the sensor specs then you should be able to set the camera up as a custom camera.

Thanks I wonder why, it’s not as if its an obscure make. Yes I set it up as a custom camera

Edit, 

Ive just asked on their forum out of curiosity. 

Edited by Scooot

9 hours ago, Captain Magenta said:

Cheers, Magnus

May I suggest you to find the AFOV using the field stop and use custom of field of view ?

FS of 3.7mm - 7.1mm 

FS of 4.7mm - 9mm 

Use Field stop/Focal length of the telescope × 57.3 for finding the AFOV .

The caveat is you won't be able to add to decimal digits in SS ..

Edited by Voyager 3
Typo

4 hours ago, Voyager 3 said:

May I suggest you to find the AFOV using the field stop and use custom of field of view ?

FS of 3.7mm - 7.1mm 

FS of 4.7mm - 9mm 

Use Field stop/Focal length of the telescope × 57.3 for finding the AFOV .

The caveat is you won't be able to add to decimal digits in SS ..

Decimals do work on SS, but the numbers don’t get displayed properly. This set of FOV circles are 0.1, 0.05, 0.01, 0.005 and 0.001 degrees and they are all shown correctly. When you edit them, they maintain the data and three decimal places are supported, not that you would likely ever need that degree of accuracy.

55EA8D88-951D-4785-8E8F-228737F8221B.png

91D08544-9A6C-461F-B6FA-0D67F7A894AD.png

3C750819-6EAF-401F-B0C5-337CC0CB808D.png

• Like 2