SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first attempt at prominences.

Icosahedron

I recently finished the construction of my latest camera and jumped at the opportunity that presented itself yesterday to try it out. The new camera with smaller pixels reduces the bandwidth to 0.01 (H-alpha) to 0.02 (Ca II K) Angstrom/pixel. Narrowing the bandwidth unfortunately results in fainter filaments and prominences. For the first time I made an attempt to process the prominences to see what I'm left with. Next time I'll overexpose the disc of the sun to see if I can improve the result. For now the camera is a keeper.

p.thumb.jpg.4b36b78b356c14cc4dceea435a15c2f5.jpg

• Like 4

Here is a comparison with the Meudon spectroheliograph at Paris Observatory. I assume that the plage areas are not the result of overexposure and that a narrower bandwidth makes a difference there. Filaments are definitely very wispy now so no further attempts at reducing the bandwidth.

meudon_ha2.thumb.jpg.8116e63070ad8d9f6eb5841b31b44b49.jpg

• Like 3