Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Missing eyepiece

I have a telescope i purchased 30 yrs ago been in storage all that time there is no make on it , its an 8 inch mirror and its 49 1/2 inch tall , but the eyepiece is missing cant remember what it was , measured where the eye piece is missing 1 1/4 31.7mm really don't know which lens this needs. As i remember the views was excellent and you could see the moons of Saturn on it. 

Any advice on what to purchase would help to get this telescope working again would be much appreciated

I have a 20mm eyepiece which is the one supplied with most starter scopes which you are welcome to for the cost of postage.

38 minutes ago, rsedwards1 said:

I have a telescope i purchased 30 yrs ago been in storage all that time there is no make on it , its an 8 inch mirror and its 49 1/2 inch tall , but the eyepiece is missing cant remember what it was , measured where the eye piece is missing 1 1/4 31.7mm really don't know which lens this needs. As i remember the views was excellent and you could see the moons of Saturn on it. 

Any advice on what to purchase would help to get this telescope working again would be much appreciated

PM me if interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rsedwards1 said:

Welcome to SGL.

Any eyepiece with a 1.25" barrel diameter should fit the focuser and get the 'scope working, banjaxed's kind offer would be a start 🙂

Heather

From what you said it appears to be a standard 8” reflector with a single size focuser of 1.25”. Any of the 1.25” eyepieces will fit the scope and Banjaxed’s kind offer of a 20mm will get you up and running. Although they are not great i have the 10mm partner to the 20mm which I have blackened the lens edges that you can have also for the price of postage. Just drop me a PM if interested.

Sounds like the focal ration is probably F6, very similar to todays offerings.

I (surely not alone here) would be really interested to see pictures of the scope.
Advice on getting it working will then be much easier.

Actually there isn't much to go wrong. Unless the mirrors are really tarnished, it is probably a simple collimation check.
That is making sure the mirrors are correctly aligned. Not a daunting task.

Pictures of the ascope would help with things like finder scope, mount type, etc.

If you add your approximate location to your profile, you might even find a 'pop around to look and set up' offer.

Welcome to SGL.

David.