Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Polar Alignment with iPolar or ASIAir routine. Which is better?

The Admiral

The title says it all really. The iPolar is directly connected to the mount's rotational axis, and I would have thought should give a more precise polar alignment. On the other hand, the ASIAir routine uses the camera on the scope itself and plate solves, so at least it's using what the scope sees, taking into account any misalignment of the scope with the mount's axis.

Any thoughts on the better method? I'm inclined to think the iPolar would be the more precise option, but I would welcome other views.

Ian

I have a CEM40 and an EQ6 R. I use the built in ipolar in the CEM40 and ASIAir on the EQ6.

I find I do get better alignment with the CEM40 and iPolar. However, there is not much in it in my experience with the biggest issue been the terrible bolts on the EQ6.

I should at some point use iPolar and then see how that compares on the asiair.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

When my iPolar is working, I can polar align in seconds - home observatory and fixed pier so nothing moves between sessions.  However, I've found an issue with iPolar and windows 10 where, even though the device connects and says it's working correctly, the iPolar program can't connect to the camera. After doing a driver update I managed to get it working again but since then it's stopped working again and iOptron don't seem too interested in giving any advice so I've just invested in a Polemaster :)

Graeme