SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Extension ? A worthy purchase or an uneccesary expense ?

Hi , 

I used the SkyTee mount for the first time last night . 

After lining up both of my scopes on the same target i had an admittedly short session of brilliant viewing , Using the 72ED essentially  as a finder and the 102 Starwave as my main viewing scope the whole thing worked flawlessly . 

I had to have the tripod extended fully to use the long frac when viewing near the zenith . 

So onto a question , I notice that Skywatcher offer a small but chunky extension tube which would give me the option of not extending the tripod fully . Is that the best option?

Everything seemed very solid last night but of course if the extension is considered a useful upgrade i would prefer to use it . ( It is an expensive option though ) 

So , what do you guys think of these extension tubes ... are they a good fit for the SkyTee ? Is it worth buying ? Do they still offer good stability ?

KR 

Stu 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

You may have answered your own question Stu, "...the whole thing worked flawlessly."

I may be being frugal, but if it ain't broke don't fix it?

Maybe , you are right ...having  just thought about it , if anything , they add an extra element which actually makes the mount less sturdy 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Maybe , you are right ...having  just thought about it , if anything , they add an extra element which actually makes the mount less sturdy 

Or potentially increase stability as the legs are are not extended so far... Decisions, decisions! However if you do not find the observing position uncomfortable and the whole shebang already feels 'flawless'. Maybe consider saving your dosh? 😀

• Like 2

Having used the Skytee with the extension pillar stability is a bit better as the tripod legs don’t need extending, as far. The pillar is surprisingly heavy so the whole tripod, pillar and mount are a much heavier lump to carry outside.

• Like 2

I've got the same long scope as you on an EQ5 style mount and I wouldn't be without the 16" extension. It all tightens down nice and firm and like John says above, with the added weight and the fact that the tripod legs need not be extended as much, makes for a very stable set up.

• Like 2

Hi @Franklin,

I was hoping that someone would enthuse about the 16" extension ...and you and John have done that , its a bit pricey ( what isn't ?) but as long as the stability and strength is there . I think for the very reason that , as the admittedly decent EQ5 tripod , can be used at its strongest with only minimal extension is of course a huge plus . The only worry i had was introducing another connection to the mount/tripod and the said connection being the weak link . Fortunately you have dispelled that . 

Many thanks to all :) 

Looks like more money will be spent lol  

• Thanks 1

I don’t have the skytee but I do have tripods (BB Uni 28 and Planet) on which I mount either an AZ100 or AZEQ6. In neither case do I use a pillar (which I own). Mainly for additional weight reasons. I see no stability advantage. There might be cases where a pillar would allow great clearance of the OTA, but I’ve not encountered them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I don’t have the skytee but I do have tripods (BB Uni 28 and Planet) on which I mount either an AZ100 or AZEQ6. In neither case do I use a pillar (which I own). Mainly for additional weight reasons. I see no stability advantage. There might be cases where a pillar would allow great clearance of the OTA, but I’ve not encountered them. 

I think in my case the clearance issue comes into play,  Jeremy . With the tripod fully extended i can see an issue with the scope maybe hitting the tripod , the extension albeit only 16" is the main reason for , possibly buying it . :)

• Like 1

They are certainly sturdy. This is an AZEQ6 on one, carrying a 20kg 6” f9 refractor!

The main benefit that I see is stopping long scopes clashing with the tripod. It doesn’t sound like this was happening for you, but even so, it is likely to be much more comfortable with the scope up a bit higher, clear of the tripod. Is your tripod a 1.75” or 2”? The EQ6 2” tripods are very stable and can be picked up fairly cheaply when people upgrade to pillars, say around £60 to £70 in excellent condition.

6F89AEDF-9372-4403-A5D2-836D57A0C845.jpeg

Another point Stu is that, when using the extension with an EQ, like I do the upper fixing is on a bearing which cannot be over tightened so you can still make adjustments for azimuth polar alignments. However, since you'll be using it with a Skytee, you can just tighten it right up so it will be very stable.

20210810_143024.jpg

• Like 2