Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aurora down south

Well, this won’t be as impressive as the Galloway pictures or the absolutely phenomenal real-time aurora videos from Canada that have been shared today.

But the red and green stuff came here to the Cambridgeshire Fens again last night, and I was so happy I was in tears!

Not visible by eye, but the red arc was very visible on camera, sometimes with a fainter green arc too.

A76836FF-0A85-41F8-AE65-511E5B12E902.thumb.jpeg.fd856350cef15ce6c6fe0a68c5c1a1a3.jpegBE9F6620-1513-4347-BDB7-8478368A4BDB.thumb.jpeg.331cbd8e8b816b6ec04c71f9e55df8cb.jpeg

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Gorgeous. Hope it hangs around until next week. I'm up there for a few days on Tues.

Alas looks like it’s died back this afternoon, John. But there seemed to be around 14 hours of intense magnetic disturbance since yesterday evening.  Remarkable. Looking forward to how this solar cycle pans out, and planning a northern Norway trip next year!

Enjoy your trip up here! I suspect the starlings are still murmurating (right word?) at RSPB Fen Drayton at dusk.

Lovely aurora pics Paul, what gear and exposures please?

I had a look when I got the red alert and tried to see if I could capture anything, but my view to the north is very restricted, plus I missed the first alert peak due to cloud. However, I think that I got a hint of the red stuff in this image. Canon 600D+35mm lens - 10s @ ISO6400.

IMG_8333_IP.thumb.jpg.797f438e4fff75c551b338db42b55320.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Lovely aurora pics Paul, what gear and exposures please?

I had a look when I got the red alert and tried to see if I could capture anything, but my view to the north is very restricted, plus I missed the first alert peak due to cloud. However, I think that I got a hint of the red stuff in this image. Canon 600D+35mm lens - 10s @ ISO6400.

IMG_8333_IP.thumb.jpg.797f438e4fff75c551b338db42b55320.jpg

I think you’ve just about caught it there! A slight red tinge that stands proud of the light pollution.

I was shooting at f/2.8 and 14mm, ISO3200 and 13s exposures. The non-selfie one is a stack of 4 exposures to clean up the sky a bit.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

I think you’ve just about caught it there! A slight red tinge that stands proud of the light pollution.

I was shooting at f/2.8 and 14mm, ISO3200 and 13s exposures. The non-selfie one is a stack of 4 exposures to clean up the sky a bit.

Thanks Paul, it's good to have those capture details :thumbright:. Seeing your images certainly gave me a bit more confidence in mine, as the very slight red tinge in mine looks to be at a very similar altitude with respect to the Plough asterism in yours, not that I got all of that in my image.

• Like 1