SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Report from Galloway AC

bomberbaz

I booked this trip 18 months since at Galloway Astronomy Centre, been looked after really well by Mike and Helen at the  Centre and well worth the money. Cosy room, cracking breakfast and Mike has a wealth of knowledge to tap into.

Anyway onto viewing, I had a fantastic session last night under the stars, so here goes!

I went out early on to get the Taurus set up although straight away I noticed the skies were very unsteady.  I tried a few reasonably easy objects but the results were best described as wobbly.

Cloud bands kept rolling through then suddenly cleared around 8, then the skies quickly settled and things started to look up.

I retried many objects at different times of the night and the later I managed them the better the views appeared to get. I think my overall results in terms of clarity were not as good as my last time here but still very good and far better than my normal dark sky site.

My main focus was nebula based with a few other DSO scattered in and I got some good results from a good number of planetary nebula. The Pleiades was a beauty later on showing a nice glow around 6 of the larger stars, the crescent was decent but have had better. For the first time I managed the North American, Californian and Rosette nebula's none of which are particularly spectacular although the former NGC 7000 was most fun because of the dark nebula which form part of the object.  Just finally mention the veil, that is all of it. This marvelous DSO looked 3D under the dark skies through the Astronomik OIII filter and I could easily see the central region as well as east & west.

Also some cracking high powered views (x170) of bodes and cigar, the dark skies combined with power really pulled out some fantastic detail on these two. 

M33 pinwheel gave me a pleasing result with the 3d animation of it's spiral body although again not as good as my first encounter with it here. M31 also gave some excellent detail in its spiral arms.

Had a super time sat at the eyepiece trying to find the moons of Uranus, I an pretty certain I got three of them. Titania, Oberon and Ariel. Difficult to get the last two and needed averted vision.

unexpected bonus was the 67p comet although little more than a fuzzy blob. Also managed the Jones 1 planetary nebula which although nothing to write home about in terms of views, it's a tick off the list. It would actually make a good standard candle along with M33 to assess the clarity and darkness of your skies IMHO. They seem to scale nicely together. 

Other good results was stephan's quintet, managed three out of the five, M1 crab was superb under dark skies without a filter and a lovely high powered view of the little dumbbell.

Anyway, one of my key goals for the night was a nebula situated in Orion adjacent to Altinak. First step, can I see the flame, check. So transparency is good. Next slip in a 24mm eyepiece (5mm exit pupil in my scope) with a HB filter attached, get comfy, get the hood over your head (A hood is a must have or a suitably alternative) and relax. 

I sat there for a long while and things slowly seemed to brighten then as I blinked it was there, finally got the Horsehead. I checked it's location against what I was seeing and there was no doubt, size and location perfect. It wasn't too well defined but there was no doubting it was the much sought after HH. 

I saved this last part as it had a huge effect on my evening. And that around 9.45 the skies lit up, we had an Aurora. I have no doubt it is already reported on here but below it a snap (slightly stretched) I got from my camera which I took along.  Aurora is something that has sat on my bucket list and seeing it made me gasp and fill up with emotion, very satisfying. We also had another bright Aurora at 1am in masses of blues (to my eyes) but I didn't get any pictures of that one.

I have never seen an Aurora and to see one this bright with so much animation was truly breath taking.

My night under the stars was a resounding and somewhat emotional success.

aurora.thumb.JPG.b882ec0d8756dc6ff6058d2193255ade.JPG

• Like 13

Definitely at the right place at the right time. Aurora sighing has been all over the local news, with a shot profiled at the usual Sycamore Gap - famous Hadrian's Wall tree. Meant to be good tonight to. Great capture, successful trip and congrats with the HH.

Fantastic report with a lot of nice targets there. Stephan's quintet has eluded me so far so it must be quite a sight. Your aurora pic is amazing. Could you see the greens and reds by eye as well? Seeing it for the first time is special, i still remember mine from when I was 10 years old.

Kostas

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Fantastic report with a lot of nice targets there. Stephan's quintet has eluded me so far so it must be quite a sight. Your aurora pic is amazing. Could you see the greens and reds by eye as well? Seeing it for the first time is special, i still remember mine from when I was 10 years old.

Kostas

cheers kostas, tbh stephans quintet was pretty medocre but fun to chase down, spent some time checking and rechecking as there is a similar galaxy very nearby and I had to double check I had the right one.

Re the green, stood out like a sore thumb, bouncing and flickering along the horizon. The red was harder to see and was more of a slight glow but still impressive none the less.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

Great report! Wow the Aurora, something I've always dreamt of seeing. Must have been spectacular to see in person! Do the colours actually move in real time? Nice pictures as well. What a way to cap off a great night!

Yes the green element was dancing along the horizon, really didn’t know where to look, simply amazing. 

• Like 1