varius21

Hello,

After taking the first step, buying all my equipment:

• EQ6-R Pro
  • WO Z73 w/Flattener
  • Uniguide with asi120mm
  • Canon EOS 1100D - with IR filter removed
  • ASIAir Pro

What filter do you suggest I get to bring out more nebulosity? I've seen various replies online and it gets quite confusing for me if I'm honest.
If you were me, which EOS clip filter would you go for?

Thank you,

Vasilis

Edited by varius21

L-enhance or L-extreme are popular choices for OSC users.

The L-extreme is for narrowband imaging of emission type nebulae, so no use on broadband targets like galaxies, but it sounds like you're looking to shoot emission nebulae so this will be what you want.

Don't go for an Ha filter with a colour camera - you'll only be using 1/4 of your sensor!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

L-enhance or L-extreme are popular choices for OSC users.

The L-extreme is for narrowband imaging of emission type nebulae, so no use on broadband targets like galaxies, but it sounds like you're looking to shoot emission nebulae so this will be what you want.

Don't go for an Ha filter with a colour camera - you'll only be using 1/4 of your sensor!

Thank you :) 

You don't mention your bortle? A cheap light pollution filter can work well and you'll need less integration time that the l-extreme. However as owners of 2 l-extremes they are very good. Just be prepared for some long exposures which with your 1100 are gonna get a bit noisy. Maybe less so now its freezing at night.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, powerlord said:

You don't mention your bortle? A cheap light pollution filter can work well and you'll need less integration time that the l-extreme. However as owners of 2 l-extremes they are very good. Just be prepared for some long exposures which with your 1100 are gonna get a bit noisy. Maybe less so now its freezing at night.

Thank you for your tips. According to clearoutside it's class 5 bortle. Any good filter you recommend?

Vasilis

Edited by varius21

I ended up going down the L-Extreme route albeit with a dedicated astro camera and Bottle 4/5 zone.  I found it particularly effective when the moon is out.  In my limited experience I found the results to be impressive.

Neil

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Grifflin said:

I ended up going down the L-Extreme route albeit with a dedicated astro camera and Bottle 4/5 zone.  I found it particularly effective when the moon is out.  In my limited experience I found the results to be impressive.

Neil

May I ask which camera you have?

Have you had chance to use it yet? I have a modded 600D and am considering the L-ENhance.

It looks like this should deal with artificial light sources AND enhance nebulosity. If I'm reading this right!