SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Outside storage for 8' Dob

Hi Guys,

I want to upgrade to the above, I currently use the Heritage 130. 

Thing is, I have just moved to a much smaller house and can't keep it anywhere inside my home, the garden seems the best option, also, I think if is out there ready to use I haven't got to lug it about and it will surely get a lot more use.  I'm quite sure the base measures 21 inches and as I prefer the solid tube I believe it stands around Four feet. 

I was thinking of a plastic shed as these are totally sealed, will last for ever and are always clean inside and without bugs/cobwebs  [ unlike a wooden one]  However, after looking I found these aren't cheap and most are too large and overkill. I've looked hard but the smallest is 4x3, overkill really. Has anyone got any ideas or a suitable product please?  I'd also consider metal.  I also think the bonus would be no cool down time being stored this way.

Many Thanks in advance.

A plastic shed is not sealed. You can improve the joints using silicone sealant. But that still leaves the door. Then there is condensation to consider.

Most dob bases are chipboard, not really tolerant of damp. Unless you spend on an aluminium Orion Optics base.

A flextube is easier to store. The tube and base easily separate.

An 8 inch tube is easy to handle.

Just a few thoughts.

• Like 1

Steve - I got a wooden shed 4'9" x 5'9" for my 10" Dob.  There is some ventilation where the roof fits.  I built in a work surface and eyepiece shelving.  An Astozap cover at the mirror end keeps bugs at bay.  All in all, it works very well.  The big issue with wooden sheds however is that they leak unless you treat them thoroughly.  Mine has had several coats of shed paint and bitumen paint, and is bone dry.  I give it the occasional blast with a cheap fan heater (not when gazing, of course).

HTH,

Doug.

DobhouseJuly2018.JPG

DobhouseSept2018#1.JPG

• Like 3

I keep kit alongside the observing area that I use at home, a very small cupboard built onto the fence,
built by me, a certified Wood Butcher.

The shelves were removed to be used for storage, power not needed, but the red light inside helps setting up and taking down kit.
It house my 10" OOUK Dob and other kit.

IMG_3727.thumb.JPG.cdf52f001935bfd39a6e53328e6b504f.JPG

• Like 1

I have a small ketter plastic shed where I keep my AZ 100 on steel tripod by my observing area. I used silicone when building it on all joints. It's been through some horrendous weather here in Cornwall and its always totally dry.

Steve

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I keep mine in a shed for some of the year. Just be aware of packing it away after a heavy evening dripping with dew. I found my primary dewed up twice and so will hair dryer it from here after a session with heavy dew. I have got a fan heater too for a quick blast but ventilation in a shed is important. I found mould in mine last year so have vented in readiness this year.

Edited by Stardaze
  • Like 1