Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion 2.25x zoom barlow.

Franklin

I really love the way Baader products are so modular and interchangeable. I was messing around with my zoom barlow and have found a, new to me, way of using it.

One of the problems with the barlow, when used with the BHZ in 1.25" mode, is that the whole assembly sticks up like a stalk and can be a bit much, especially if using it in a 1.25" diagonal and focuser with a small scope. Now this may be common knowledge and I'm just slow on the uptake, but I have found that if I remove the 1.25" adaptorA  from the barlow and replace it with the T2 adaptorB  (which I thought was just for attaching a camera), I can attatch a T2 1.25"holder to the barlow. This makes it much more stable and allows the changing of eyepieces without all the unscrewing. I have also now realised that this is the configuration that Baader supplies their very expensive, high end Zeiss Abbe Barlow in. I have the Baader 1.25"-T2 fine focusing eyepiece holder which I think is the best astro-accessory since sliced bread and very reasonably priced. This is now permanently attached to my zoom barlow where the fine focusing ability is needed at the higher powers. You can also use the Hyperion spacer rings with it to get different magnifications.

If you haven't already, give it a go. 👍

Edited by Franklin
update
  • Like 1

You will find a thread from a few weeks ago where the various options for fitting the matching Barlow to the BHZ Mk 4 is discussed. Conclusion is that it needs to be fitted to the adapter not directly to the eyepiece. I prefer to use mine in 2” mode.

15 hours ago, Spile said:

I prefer to use mine in 2” mode

Yes I agree, I use it in 2" mode in my main scope with the 2" diagonal but I also use it in 1.25" mode with the small diagonal in my G&G. Like all Baader gear, it's just really versatile. What I liked when using it with the fine focusing eyepiece holder, it becomes a variable barlow, just by twisting the eyepiece the barlow gives different magnifications.