Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

OMG ( I hate that expression ) WHAT a view.

Maybe a typical beginner type comment but. ..........

6 months into my journey I have dabbled with different experiences as one does when setting out - both day and night / good and 'not so good' etc etc.

So last night ( clear ) in my Bortle 7 area, having already had a play between 8pm and 10pm, I was awakened by the wife who was not well and ended up making tea, hot water bottles etc.  Took the dog out into the garden having disturbed his slumber and looked up.

WOW.

Of course the view had rotated but the clarity compared to late evening was astonishing.  Spent a while with my binoculars in the frosty air and was amazed at what I was seeing.  To be fair, once tea was delivered and relevant comment made, she did suggest taking the scope out ( to get rid of me maybe? ).  Heavy dew, cold feet and tiredness prevented me doing this but I just had to share the experience that many will already know of but others may just gain similar pleasure from.  Need to plan an appropriate session based on this experience. 

• Like 13

Great stuff! The early hours can be some of the best in terms of clarity and stillness. Can be blinking cold too of course! 🤣🤣

Often some of the best sessions are just gazing up with a pairs of binos 👍

• Like 1

Just played with Stellarium. I now realise that part of my viewing was actually my first ever ( due to times and location etc ) view of Orion and area.  Looking roughly W SW from garden. Also that massive yellow blob?   Of course, Betelgeuse.  First time I have seen it although only through the binos.  Wonderful.  😀

Edited by Starslayer
  • Like 2

As above, especially in the urban environment, late is better. A clear autumn/winter/early spring night between midnight and 4am can often become a fantastic night as the muggles turn at least some lights off and head to bed. The thrifty turn off central heating, reducing expelled heat from houses. For several hours there are less vehicles on the road than during the day and far fewer flights. It all adds up.

Enjoy those binocular sessions. Keep a recliner, sleeping bag and a cushion handy. Those will keep you out for hours. 😀

I've been out in dressing gown and slippers to shut up after imaging, around 3-4 in the morning a few weeks ago and seeing the sky very dark and clear with clusters in Auriga bright naked eye visible, and I *think* (Checking with Stellarium) I might have glimpsed M33 naked eye, but wouldn't swear to it. Didn't stay out long but was a very happy bunny.

• Like 2

On 03/11/2021 at 20:08, Louis D said:

The only issue I've had with the early morning is that the temperature typically approaches the dew point and dew starts condensing on everything very easily.

And hence the need for trousers!

• Haha 1

Nice observation!  With as messed up as my sleep is being up that late (or getting up that early) would be terribly painful for the next 2 days or so but one of these days when I have no weekend work obligations I’ve got to try that. Your post has inspired me to try! Good stuff.