Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC 1396

mikemabel

Taken with my modded canon 450d with my ST 102

only 11x 120s ,darks and flats applied cls-ccd filter guided or it was until the clouds rolled in. It was also near the zenith and went behind by house..

Im trying do do my best with inexpensive equipment before upgrading .

any cc welcome

222338439_IC1396NR.thumb.jpg.b7bc4c458d1171890f989e115cdb0f41.jpg

Edited by mikemabel
Text
  • Like 1

Well that sounds about right. I think best suggestions I can Make are

-more integration time. You wanna be getting about 100 subs at least.

-use starnet++ one you've stacked, then stretch that red out.

-try the trial version of topaz denoise to then denoise that stretched starless nebula

-then try pumping the saturation up

- finally add the stars back at your chosen opacity.

Stu - 9 month imaging 'veteran'!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, powerlord said:

Well that sounds about right. I think best suggestions I can Make are

-more integration time. You wanna be getting about 100 subs at least.

-use starnet++ one you've stacked, then stretch that red out.

-try the trial version of topaz denoise to then denoise that stretched starless nebula

-then try pumping the saturation up

- finally add the stars back at your chosen opacity.

Stu - 9 month imaging 'veteran'!

Thanks for taking the time to offer advice. In hindsight I was more surprised I actually got an image . Looking at other astronomers images the standard seems to have increased enormously and I will start the process of upgrading my scope and camera. If only the weather was kinder to us

Clear skies

That's good going for a short integration time! And good on you for maxing out your current equipment before upgrading. I second every suggestion made by powerlord, and would add in spend a bit of time making sure your focus is as good as it can be.

47 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

That's good going for a short integration time! And good on you for maxing out your current equipment before upgrading. I second every suggestion made by powerlord, and would add in spend a bit of time making sure your focus is as good as it can be.

Cheers Lee

To aid focusing  I bought a 3d printed bahintov mask from eBay with fits inside the dewshield . I've also got platesolving to work in Apt which is making finding targets and framing them brilliantly.

• Like 2

Yes thats a good start for such limited exposure. More subs would be the main thing. Also just wondering what mount youre using and if youre guiding - whatever youre doing the stars look quite nice so maybe you could do longer subs? Aaaah - just noticed you said guided. So maybe extend subs, or if not possible consider more subs and use ISO1600

Also to be picky your flats dont seem quite right - some vignetting, no?

Nice work with  modest kit! Looking back I think I got more enjoyment out of my early AP with  basic kit than I ever have since with more expensive kit, so make the most of it!

4 hours ago, Tommohawk said:

Yes thats a good start for such limited exposure. More subs would be the main thing. Also just wondering what mount youre using and if youre guiding - whatever youre doing the stars look quite nice so maybe you could do longer subs? Aaaah - just noticed you said guided. So maybe extend subs, or if not possible consider more subs and use ISO1600

Also to be picky your flats dont seem quite right - some vignetting, no?

Nice work with  modest kit! Looking back I think I got more enjoyment out of my early AP with  basic kit than I ever have since with more expensive kit, so make the most of it!

The mount is a HEQ5 pro belt modded from FLO my most expensive purchase being disillusioned with the time actually using my kit Vs expense I sold a lot of items and decided to concentrate on the basics and limit my expense though I've got the enthusiasm back so I may take the plunge ie new camera and scope in the future . I've got dithering working well with guiding so I don't need darks...or do I ??

As you say I need more subs but I've been reall pleased with my earlier attempts

Clear skies

34 minutes ago, mikemabel said:

The mount is a HEQ5 pro belt modded from FLO my most expensive purchase being disillusioned with the time actually using my kit Vs expense I sold a lot of items and decided to concentrate on the basics and limit my expense though I've got the enthusiasm back so I may take the plunge ie new camera and scope in the future . I've got dithering working well with guiding so I don't need darks...or do I ??

As you say I need more subs but I've been reall pleased with my earlier attempts

Clear skies

Yeah I have HEQ5 with belt mod too works great... usually! Yours certainly looks good.

Darks - conventional wisdom was that you want darks especially with DSLR, temperature matched as near as you can. But... there are other views out there on darks! I used them religiously but some folk say they introduce noise, and dithering helps even out the noise so that darks not required. 

I also think you might want to look at your flats, which you definitely do want  -they don't look right.