SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SkyTee set up

Congratulations. Glad you got it all sorted in the end. I would put the long scope on the side and the short one on the top, with the counterweight on the other side. Doing this will mean you will not need as heavy a counterweight as you would on an EQ for example, because the short scope will be adding to the weight on that side.

• Like 1

Altair Starwave 102 (f11) and a skywatcher 72ed

I am really happy to have wide field and a planetary / luna scope . I was going to use the 72ed for photography but I am now going to stick with visual   :)(excuse the mess lol unboxing can be an untidy operation 😄 

20211102_203208.jpg

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 6

Nice. The 102 weighs around 5/6kg? So should be good. I read on other threads when people put heavier scopes on the Skytee they recommend upgrading the stock saddle to a beefier ADM type. Probably spent enough for now though. Enjoy.

ps. Have you got another weight on the other side of the 72ED? I would move put the weight there to balance the small scope as well.

Edited by Franklin
addition

No, you move the shaft you have and put it opposite the 72ED and use the weight you have there. That will keep the 72ED balanced in altitude and the combined weight of the 72ED and the weight will be enough to balance the big scope. It's only azimuth so you don't need an exact balance like you would with an EQ. How you have got it in the pic the 72ED is not balanced in altitude and could end in disaster.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Franklin said:

No, you move the shaft you have and put it opposite the 72ED and use the weight you have there. That will keep the 72ED balanced in altitude and the combined weight of the 72ED and the weight will be enough to balance the big scope. It's only azimuth so you don't need an exact balance like you would with an EQ. How you have got it in the pic the 72ED is not balanced in altitude and could end in disaster.

Doh ! That makes perfect sense , just put it down to first night nerves for me :)

The AZ5 and newer Skytee mounts have the saddle mounting screw holes on both ends not just on one side so another saddle is just a bolt on. On older Skytee mounts you need to drill and tap mounting holes on the “other” end.

Used to have an AZ5

D140220F-7F94-4537-8F0B-E193F92A2C60.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Unfortunately only 1 available at present , might have to go the ADM route , I certainly want another clamp for the other side of the SkyTee ... ( then i can justify another scope 😀)

I bought something similar through Aliexpress and looking on there now there are a few sellers offering that same basic item for less than £25 including shipping.

• Like 1