SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Binocular mount.

Astroscot2

I use the head packaged with the Amazon basics video tripod and a Manfrotto xpro monopod with my binoculars. You still have to crane your neck to look up but it is a lot more comfortable because the monopod takes the weight of the binoculars. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Astroscot2 said:

I'm looking for a decent height tripod with trigger grip for comfortable viewing up to the zenith. The binos for use will be light weight 8x42 but I still enjoy stead views.

Any suggestions?

The monopod with the trigger grip mount suggested by @Ricochet and @Philip R (it's the same one) is serviceable; the (now discontinued) Manfrotto 222 is better; good used ones normally fetch about £60. Tripods are a pain for anything higher than about 45° unless you use a parallelogram to offset you from it - your legs and its  always manage to get into a tangle, and you chin yourself on the column. A monopod does not need to be vertical to work, so it's useful when you are seated or reclined.

HTH

• Like 2

Oop's...

I forgot to mention earlier. If you use a monopod, you will need a 3/8" to 1/4" reducer/adapter as shown below...

download.jpg.d591dc88928413acd70a11ae21abf1b7.jpg

as they are not included with the head. Other styles/types are also available.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Philip R said:

I forgot to mention earlier. If you use a monopod, you will need a 3/8" to 1/4" reducer/adapter as shown below...

as they are not included with the head. Other styles/types are also available.

Depends on the monopod and depends on how/where you obtain the head. Some Manfrotto monopods, for example, have a spring-loaded 3/8" sleeve over the 1/4" stud. If you buy the head as a stand-alone (as opposed to with, say, the Amazon Basics tripod), it sometimes comes with a thread adaptor.

Aren't standards wonderful -- so many from which to choose!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I bought a Ravelli pistol grip and tripod about 4 yrs ago from Telescope House. Absolute bargain then. £60. I use it with 20x90 bins. Rock solid.

The Ravelli is identical in every respect ,except the printing of the brand name, to the Amazon Basics. It's worth checking the prices of both, as they both fluctuate enormously, and either can be cheaper at any given time.

• Like 4

Thank you all for your suggestions,  when I started in astronomy many may years ago I only used binoculars and would have them mounted on a smallish tripod which allowed for steady views, I enjoyed viewing this way,  The monopod option looks the simplest to use however I really want hands off the binoculars.

Ive found this option while searching, seems solid enough for the small binos I will be using, anyone got any reviews on this mount?

https://uk.telescope.com/Telescopes/Orion-Paragon-Plus-Binocular-Mount-and-Tripod/rc/1306/p/109828.uts

Mark

• Like 1

I had one of these for a while…it works well for medium binoculars- I had Helios Apollo 15x70- wouldn’t want to use anything much heavier on it. Works better (for me) than a monopod and trigger grip I’d used before because it’s easy to move-check star chart - move to next field - recheck star chart etc.

I only moved it on because I was planning on a larger bino, but that hasn’t come off yet.

With the trigger ball head make sure you keep the ball cleaned of metal dust and occasionally adjust the tension as needed… otherwise the “grip” can loosen with time. I test it to see if it can hold my >kg bins put horizontally without slipping and adjust/clean if needed.

Peter

23 hours ago, catburglar said:

it works well for medium binoculars- I had Helios Apollo 15x70- wouldn’t want to use anything much heavier on it

Frankly, I think even an HA 15x70 is slightly too much for it; mine (a very early incarnation of the mount) wouldn't stay put unless I tightened up the fulcrums or added a bit of lead flashing to the counterweight end. However, I have an Opticron 20x80 that is lighter than the HA, and is absolutely fine.

• 1 month later...