Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Merlin66

Touch-up Paint for Meade Blue??

I was previously advised ( on a USA forum) that the "correct" touch-up paint for the dark Meade Blue ( ie LX200 etc) was Krylon HighGloss "Regal Blue #1901"

Well, I bought a can and find that it's definately a lighter shade of blue than my LX200. I've also tried the "Navy Blue", "Midnight Blue" and "Galaxy Blue" but these are grey -blue / darker blue and don't match either!

Has anyone found a good colour match????

I would pop into your nearest Halfords if you can as they have a paint mixing service along with paint charts to match paints too.

I don't want just a small 50ml pot, and don't have the capability to set up spray painting using pre-mixed paint ; just need a couple of Hi-gloss "Meade Blue" spray cans....

They can mix 300ml Spray cans for you usually whist you wait so you dont have to have Spraying equipment.

Ohh...I didn't realise they did pre-mix spray cans!

I'll have to give them a try next week.

Thanks for that info.

In 1982-83 Meade purchased dark blue paint that was left over from Ford's 1981 Mustang vehicles. The supply lasted for years an was used on such scopes as LX5's. Not much help but thought I might put it in anyway.

I have managed to match the colour using a halford's colour kit, as I remember it was some kind of Vuaxhall Blue; im at work - so when I get home, I will have a check what the colour code is ! :lol:

Sound's like excellent news to me! If you have the formulation that would be great!!

Sorry, but I have had a good search for the paint, seems I have mis-placed it somewhere - but I do remember it was some kind of Vauxhall Midnight Blue, best thing to do:

Take the bog standard meade finder to your nearest Halfords to get a pretty good colour match, thats what I done with my friends LX10 6x30 finder.

Finally made it to Halfords...

They have over 20,000 automotive colours in their reference books ( three VERY large ring binders)

Well, after almost an hour of going through them, I came up with a final selection of three "Dark Blues".... and the winner is.....

SKODA, #4633, Royal Blue

Weather permitting I hope to finish the re-paint this weekend.

Just make sure you post some nice piccies :)

Finally made it to Halfords...

They have over 20,000 automotive colours in their reference books ( three VERY large ring binders)

Well, after almost an hour of going through them, I came up with a final selection of three "Dark Blues".... and the winner is.....

SKODA, #4633, Royal Blue

Weather permitting I hope to finish the re-paint this weekend.

OK so this is some years on but... how was the color match to the Meade blue? I am on the verge of going to B and Q and buying the Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Multipurpose Spray Paint Gloss Navy Blue 400ml EAN: 5013296950244 that is the UK version of the "Rustoleum Painter's Touch Navy Blue gloss number 1922" that someone bought in USA and found they could barely tell the color apart from the original Meade blue paint on their (presumably) LX200. I am looking to do touch ups to my Meade 7" Mak ex-LX50 OTA.

Pictures would be great BTW!

Best Regards,

Alistair G.

Time marches on.....

The Skoda paint was "OK" but not perfect.

I sold all the Meade gear and "converted" to a C9.25, then later to a C11.

Sorry, that's not much help....

If as stated above  (many years ago) if you take the finder with you there are now places that can scan it and produce a matching colour.

Dave