Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Neutrino: Hunting the Ghost Particle

Just watched the above on iplayer where they pin their hopes of new physics on finding evidence for the sterile neutrino. Unfortunately,  it seems Fermi lab have failed to do so from this announcement a few days ago https://phys.org/news/2021-10-scientists-hint-sterile-neutrino.html

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• andrew s changed the title to Neutrino: Hunting the Ghost Particle

So from the opening opening paragraph they appear to be ruling its existence out completely. Will there be any further research effort expended trying to identify it?  Shame it could have opened further development of the standard model perhaps leading to connections with dark matter.  I love the concept of a "liquid argon time projection chamber".  I'm off searching Screwfix catalogue now :)

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, saac said:

So from the opening opening paragraph they appear to be ruling its existence out completely. Will there be any further research effort expended trying to identify it?  Shame it could have opened further development of the standard model perhaps leading to connections with dark matter.  I love the concept of a "liquid argon time projection chamber".  I'm off searching Screwfix catalogue now :)

Jim 

They have been looking to confirm an anomaly for 10 yrs so probably not. However, I am sure the search for new physics won't stop. There are many experiments on going looking for dark matter particles. 

Regards Andrew 

PS good luck at Screwfix 😊

• Haha 1