SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pixinsight help

Hi,

I have just reinstalled PI into a new laptop. Intel i7 2.2 processor, 8g RAM, 256 SSD which is a big step up from my old laptop. I was expecting a difference in performance but having just calibrated a set of subs, it is actually a lot slower!. I was at 12 minutes into the calibration and not even half done. I asked a friend to check my settings and there was nothing unusual. He also did a test of the same number of subs and it took him less than 2 minutes (slightly faster computer). I have obviously googled and tried all the obvious stuff (including swaps) but no difference. The only thing was a pop up message that came on when I started PI which I then got rid off and can't get back to check its contents. Very frustrating as I'm not new to PI but I feel like there must be something obvious I'm missing?

Any ideas?

Steve

Try your global preferences set Parallel Processing and Threads like below:

image.png.87705060e90a12abe3f33578a27d7dd6.png

Beware though during integration or any other processor intensive process your PC will seem to lock up. It isn't - it is just doing stuff and once complete the PC will be responsive again.

Also PI works tons better with a SSD disk rather than a mechanical magnetic hard disk. If your laptop has space for 2 SSD drives then have one for the OS drive as normal and the other as a temp drive for use with PI swap storage as below. If not then you can use the existing SSD. 

image.png.98c1f43725a103650c4b5917abca89e1.png

Laptops don't have particularly fast display adaptors so you probably won't be able to make use of a GPU. However if you can increase the amount of RAM that would give performance improvements too. 8GB isn't a lot nowadays.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 1