Altair astro 269c issue

Wonderweb

Hi. 

Has anyone else had their altair astro 269c camera fail to download images? I bought mine 2nd hand earlier this year, its in perfect condition and everything works perfectly apart from the failure to download. This is an intermittent issue but when it starts failing its almost impossible to get it working again. 

I normally use nina for scope control etc but it also fails on apt, sharpcap and occasionally even altair capture. I have talked to various people about the issue and have had a few suggestions  including altering usb speeds and even swapping drivers and .dll files. 

I'm really at the end of my tether with it. I get very few opportunities to use my gear and then to lose a whole night like last night is so frustrating. 

I was wondering if anyone had come across this and had a workaround before I send it to altair astro and spend money. 

On 31/10/2021 at 13:16, Wonderweb said:

Hi. 

Has anyone else had their altair astro 269c camera fail to download images? I bought mine 2nd hand earlier this year, its in perfect condition and everything works perfectly apart from the failure to download. This is an intermittent issue but when it starts failing its almost impossible to get it working again. 

I normally use nina for scope control etc but it also fails on apt, sharpcap and occasionally even altair capture. I have talked to various people about the issue and have had a few suggestions  including altering usb speeds and even swapping drivers and .dll files. 

I'm really at the end of my tether with it. I get very few opportunities to use my gear and then to lose a whole night like last night is so frustrating. 

I was wondering if anyone had come across this and had a workaround before I send it to altair astro and spend money. 

Is the camera attached to a USB hub? When I got my ASI533 I had what sounds like similar problems - it turned out the devices on the hub drew too much power when they were all active and one of the devices (normally the camera) would drop the connection. I put the camera on its own USB port and everything has been fine since.

2 hours ago, Shimrod said:

Is the camera attached to a USB hub? When I got my ASI533 I had what sounds like similar problems - it turned out the devices on the hub drew too much power when they were all active and one of the devices (normally the camera) would drop the connection. I put the camera on its own USB port and everything has been fine since.

I have the camera connected directly to a usb3 port on my computer. It's weird cause it doesn't drop the connection. When it starts acting up I have to disconnect the camera and then reconnect it again or it just times out after every image. This works only occasionally and usually when it starts doing it I just pack up. Ive tried loads of different settings but nothing seems to make any difference once it starts. 

24 minutes ago, Nerf-herder said:

Are you using the native driver or the ASCOM driver?

Have you tried switching "off" the USB Power save function in Device manager?

Yes. Im using the native driver. I have also switched off the USB power save function. I was given a replacement .dll file from a guy who also had this issue and this did improve things a bit but virtually everything else I've tried has had no impact. 

I have had this problem with a dslr while using Nina but it's always because i have cancelled an exposure mid shot in Nina but the camera continues on but then fails to download. The camera always stays connected to Nina, 'hung' in it's download until i remove power from the camera, and i mean pull the plug as the camera will continue trying to download as long as there is power available after it's been switched off. After that everything is fine. It's easy to see whats going on there with a dslr as it has a screen. HTH.

On 11/11/2021 at 19:29, newbie alert said:

If you're on FB join the altair astro group, and speak to Nick Smith, or Ian.. Nick knows absolutely everything, inc how to use the premier imaging software ( sharpcap)

I'm already a member of the group and it was nick who advised me to raise a ticket on the altair help Web page. Im hoping that returning the camera to them for further investigation will identify the problem and hopefully it will be something that can be fixed without too much outlay. I find sharpcap ok, I use it fir polar alignment, but I prefer NINA

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

i have the same issues, was alot to do with download speeds as im connected to a PI with astroberry and remote download, now have it down to 5 second download speeds but but it very often gets stuck in download and have to resort to re-boots. i have no solid remedy for this, once its in a light plan it works all night, its just when focusing and taking short snaps.

will be monitoring this post.