Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Ultima Duo

8 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Are these eyepieces any good and worth looking at?, or are they best avoided?. Thanks in advance 

what scope are you intending using these on please. The more information you provide will help with any advice given!

26 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

what scope are you intending using these on please. The more information you provide will help with any advice given!

Sorry I keep forgetting to include the scopes. 8” Dobsonian and a 127 Skymax Maksutov.

I believe these are rebadged Baader Hyperions so any comments about the Hyperions will apply to the Ultima Duo. All should work well with your Mak, but not so well with your Dob. Within the range some are reportedly better than others so you would have to wade through reviews to try to work out which ones might be ok. Eyepieces such as the APM UFF, ES 68/82 or Baader Morpheus would be better options than the Hyperion/Ultima Duo if you can afford them. At lower cost the BST Starguider and Celestron X-Cel LX probably have better correction albeit a smaller field if you stick to the options between 5 and 12mm. The longer ones would work well in the Mak but not in the Dob.

• Like 2

All the specs suggest it is a copy of the hyperion, I have used these in an F10 cadioptric and they were superb for that so I would suspect they would be the same in your mak.

In a 8" dob at F6 I suspect the results would not be quite as pleasing although as above if you stuck to lower sizes, 12mm and below you may find the edge of field sloppyness less of an issue.

TBH it is all very subjective. One man's yuk is another mans, "it'll be alright!"  However as soon as you try a higher end eyepiece you perspective changes immediately 😅

Do you know anyone who has one that will lend you to have a bash in the dob, you may find the results acceptable, or has suggested there is always the BST's.

• Like 1

I have both the 10mm and 17mm and I rather like them. You can see from my signature that I have 3 reflectors - 5" ,6" and my 12" Dob and I use these EPs in each of these scopes. I do have better quality EPs which I mainly use but I am happy to keep these because I am satisfied with the view they produce. However, I thought they were no longer available.

have you found a supplier?

6 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I have both the 10mm and 17mm and I rather like them. You can see from my signature that I have 3 reflectors - 5" ,6" and my 12" Dob and I use these EPs in each of these scopes. I do have better quality EPs which I mainly use but I am happy to keep these because I am satisfied with the view they produce. However, I thought they were no longer available.

No it’s someone selling it and as I’d never heard of it before I was curious to see if it was worth buying. Thanks 

7 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

All the specs suggest it is a copy of the hyperion, I have used these in an F10 cadioptric and they were superb for that so I would suspect they would be the same in your mak.

In a 8" dob at F6 I suspect the results would not be quite as pleasing although as above if you stuck to lower sizes, 12mm and below you may find the edge of field sloppyness less of an issue.

TBH it is all very subjective. One man's yuk is another mans, "it'll be alright!"  However as soon as you try a higher end eyepiece you perspective changes immediately 😅

Do you know anyone who has one that will lend you to have a bash in the dob, you may find the results acceptable, or has suggested there is always the BST's.

Thanks and I think i will just stick to my original plan of getting the Baader Morpheus range as they seem to be decent across the range. Thanks for your reply 

1 minute ago, bomberbaz said:

Have you considered the explore scietific route. Greater range of glass within the group and also a little cheaper than the morpheus. Although I believe the morpheus are good chunks of glass.

Explore Scientific 82º Series Eyepieces | First Light Optics

I did look at them but with an up to 90 working days waiting time I was somewhat put off. I have the Hyperion Zoom and find it decent although the 50 degree at 24x is limiting. I have been swayed away from the Hyperion range so the Morpheus it is.(Unless the ES becomes available)

12 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I’ve found that Harrisons Telescopes have the full range of the Ultimate Duo’s for sale at the moment.