Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A quick Pacman 29th Oct 2021

lukebl

After one of my periodic purges of unused cameras and scopes (which I invariably regret) I’m now back to virtually the same basic setup I had a decade ago: just a cheap old 200mm Newtonian and a few filters. I always come back to the old reliable Newt. At least I also kept my Atik 383L, and captured this quick Pacman (NGC 281) last night.

Although the stars aint as round as they could be, I was quite pleased at my first go at this object. Unfortunately, my Off-axis guider creates too much distance between the coma corrector and the sensor, so I had to guide with a separate ST80 guidescope and its associated problems with differential flexure. (With the filter wheel and OAG, the distance is about 75mm from the corrector to the sensor plane, creating even worse coma than without the corrector).

Just 10 x 5 minutes each of HA and Oiii, synthetic green. 6 darks, no flats. Field of view 68.5 x 52.1 arcmin. With such short exposures there was barely any Oiii nebulosity at all.

51642145460_3af85310f9_k.jpg

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 4