Narrowband

Which eyepieces?????

Hi.

I am new to astronomy (about 8 months) and I'm in need of advice. I have just bought an Orion XT8. My previous telescope was a Celestron  Powerseeker 114EQ which was a gift (I struggled a bit with this) Having researched on the internet I concluded that the XT8 would be a better suited telescope.

I am getting on a lot  better with it, however, the eyepieces that I got with the Celestron don't  seem to be of a very good quality (plastic barrels and not very sharp) and so I am looking to replace them with a better quality range but there seem to be so many and despite researching I'm still not sure which ones to buy. The top end are out of my beginners budget but I don't want cheap rubbish either.

Could anyone recommend a good quality make that will give me a a crisp clear image (subject to good viewing conditions) with a wide field of view and good eye relief (I wear glasses) I would like to be able to view both planets and deep sky and so would like a range of focal lengths ( 3 to 4 ) and possibly  a 2X Barlow.

Thanks in advance. Andy

Edited by Andy67
Error

For most people on a budget the goto eyepiece is the BST Starguider https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces.html  60° fov and decent quality.

From the blurb:

• Two ED glass elements minimise chromatic aberration. 
  • All air-to-glass surfaces are fully multicoated for high contrast, high light transmission and minimal ghosting. 
  • Blackened lens edges reduce internal reflections and further increase contrast.
  • Six-element / four-group design minimises field curvature for a nice flat field. 
  • 16mm eye relief (suitable for spectacle wearers). 
  • Large 21mm eye-lens diameter for comfortable observing. 
  • Convenient screw-out eye cups. 
  • Tactile rubber grip for easy handling in the dark. 
  • 1.25“ nosepiece with milled safety undercut. 
  • Accepts 1.25“ astronomy filters. 
  • Suitable for use with telescope focal-ratios f/5 and above. 

The need to wear glasses restricts your options. Really, you only need to wear glasses for astronomy if they are correcting for astigmatism. If the glasses are not correcting for astigmatism then you can achieve the same correction as your glasses simply by changing the focus of the telescope.

If you do need to wear glasses then I think the Starguider suggestion are just a little bit short on eye relief and your glasses will actually be pushed against the eyecups when you use them. I think a guideline of 20mm eye relief might be a better bet for something that is actually usable with glasses. As you haven't actually given your budget, could you push as high as the Baader Morpheus line? I think that buying fewer eyepieces of higher quality is a better investment than many lower quality eyepieces and you can always add further eyepieces in the future after you have saved up some more money. If the cost of the Morpheus is too high, then the Vixen SLV line is a very nice eyepiece with good eye relief, although the downside is that you are restricted to only 50° AFoV (about the same as your supplied eyepieces are likely to have).

5 hours ago, Andy67 said:

Could anyone recommend a good quality make that will give me a a crisp clear image (subject to good viewing conditions) with a wide field of view and good eye relief (I wear glasses) I would like to be able to view both planets and deep sky and so would like a range of focal lengths ( 3 to 4 ) and possibly  a 2X Barlow.

I think your requirements as stated are describing the Baader Morpheus, Pentax XW and the Televue Delos. I have the 9mm and 17.5mm Morpheus and both are excellent eyepieces and good value at least in comparison to the Delos . Two Morpheus eyepieces new would be £380 or so which why I have not bought anymore, at the moment.  Of course you could mix your eyepieces and say if you think the  eye relief is the most important buy some Vixen SLV in shorter focal lengths to go with a more expensive wide field. 

Though of course I do not have to track manually so for that alone a wider field is a big plus.

Of course you could consider a Baader Zoom, The Baader zoom and one wide field finder eyepiece, though I can not remember the eyerelief of the Zoom.

What is the widest field eyepiece you have a and how easy are you finding things at the moment?

Good luck with your choice

John

There's no need for dozens of EPs. With a long focal length scope I use two, with a shorter FL  scope I add a third. And that's it. They are not beginner or budget EPs but I still believe that three is a lot. I'd far sooner have 'better' than 'more.'

Olly

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

There's no need for dozens of EPs. With a long focal length scope I use two, with a shorter FL  scope I add a third. And that's it. They are not beginner or budget EPs but I still believe that three is a lot. I'd far sooner have 'better' than 'more.'

Olly

In general I agree Olly, for most DSO observing. For planetary and lunar it’s often useful to stack them in at the higher powers to give the best option for the seeing conditions on any given night. Or get a decent zoom.

• Like 1

I find that also. Planetary has quite different needs. For my 250mm the plan is to have 7mm, 6mm, 5mm, 4mm - which gives x171, x200, x240, x300 - a spread which allows me to take advantage of seeing conditions. With my now departed C9.25 I have 12mm, 10mm, 9mm, 8mm for the same reason. I don't like zooms :wink2:

For DSO a couple would do. I have them, but, pointless here due to LP.