SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Photoshop 2022 update

Andy R

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems with opening tiff files straight out of DSS since the update. 

I get  a error message stating it’s unable to complete as incorrect file type. 

I’ve reverted back to previous version but alas I still have the same message appearing.     
this seems to affect all 32bit stacked files that I’ve created with DSS. I can open them in Lightroom but alas edit in photoshop option doesn’t work either  

Any ideas or suggestions

Thanks

Andy

30 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Try 16 bit

Alas no same error message, I can open 16bit tif files that I’ve saved in photoshop ie starless images out of starnet++ and with the layers. I’ve found a thread on Adobe with users having the same problem after the update. Strange one this. 

7 hours ago, Andy R said:

Alas no same error message, I can open 16bit tif files that I’ve saved in photoshop ie starless images out of starnet++ and with the layers. I’ve found a thread on Adobe with users having the same problem after the update. Strange one this. 

Sorry it's been a while since I've used DSS 

Maybe go back a version and see if the problem still exists 

5 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Sorry it's been a while since I've used DSS 

Maybe go back a version and see if the problem still exists 

First thing I tried. I am however not alone with this issue. 
thanks

1 hour ago, Lullen said:

Have not tested DSS yet, but I have the same problem with opening files from starnet++ after update to PS 2022. Same error message...

Yes starnett++ is affected too as I found out yesterday. However, on the Adobe thread I’ve been following a user has said if you import the TIFF file into Lightroom classic and then export it as a TIFF file from there, it should open ok. I’ve tried this on DSS files and it works, I will assume this will also work on starnett  TIFF but I’ve not tried it yet. 

HTH

Andy

No issue seen here with TIFF files saved from APP using sRGB v2.1 or sRGB v4.0 (in 8bit, 16bit or floating 32bit) or any other application then loaded straight into Photoshop 2022 . 😕

40 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

No issue seen here with TIFF files saved from APP using sRGB v2.1 or sRGB v4.0 (in 8bit, 16bit or floating 32bit) or any other application then loaded straight into Photoshop 2022 . 😕

Seems to be DSS and/or starnett issue for Astrophotography,  as the posters on the Adobe thread are all stating the same, there seems to be issues with other non Astro programmes too. It’s also not opening historical  stacked TIFF files either. 

link to thread below if anyone interested  

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-photoshop-23-0-cannot-open-tif-files-generated-in-other-programs/idi-p/12476726#comments

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy R said:

Well, Adobe don't seem to all over it :(

Luckily I haven't updated for a while. I had a load of trouble at the last big update. So I'll wait to see how this fans out. I very much doubt there is anything in the big update that I've been struggling without! :)

I've been thinking about moving to something more Astro Specific as I pay a lot for it and only use it for astro imaging and don't come close to using it to its full potential. How Adobe fix this (or not) might be the push I need.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Well, Adobe don't seem to all over it :(

Luckily I haven't updated for a while. I had a load of trouble at the last big update. So I'll wait to see how this fans out. I very much doubt there is anything in the big update that I've been struggling without! :)

I've been thinking about moving to something more Astro Specific as I pay a lot for it and only use it for astro imaging and don't come close to using it to its full potential. How Adobe fix this (or not) might be the push I need.

Totally agree I’m hoping they’ll get a fix this week, If not then 1) I’ll give affinity another go(I purchased it last year when it was on offer) or 2) be brave, take the plunge and get pixinsight. That said I do use Lightroom for photography, so stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

I am right in thinking if you cancel the Adobe subscription you’re unable to use any of them, is that right?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Andy R said:

I am right in thinking if you cancel the Adobe subscription you’re unable to use any of them, is that right?

I'm not entirely sure. On top of the monthly cost of PS I've also purchased the Astronomy Tools actions package and Astro Flat Pro. The former isn't well suited to my lousy images, the later I use now and then but I find it a bit harsh but, again, it'll be looking for more signal and less noise to work with! 

So, yeah, I'm heading towards the open market :)

• Thanks 1

It's not an issue of Photoshop itself, it's something to do with the Camera Raw plugin; the way I got around it was opening up Photoshop and under the Preferences menu going in to the options for Camera Raw (it may take some digging around as it's not the most front and centre of things) and then in the file handling setting TIFF to "Automatically open all supported TIFFS".

The other way around it, though not tried this is as you say it opens in Lightroom, either use the Edit In function on the context menu (and open as smart object) or export it as a TIFF from there and open it.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, BCN_Sean said:

It's not an issue of Photoshop itself, it's something to do with the Camera Raw plugin; the way I got around it was opening up Photoshop and under the Preferences menu going in to the options for Camera Raw (it may take some digging around as it's not the most front and centre of things) and then in the file handling setting TIFF to "Automatically open all supported TIFFS".

Thankyou, yes that worked for me

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BCN_Sean said:

The other way around it, though not tried this is as you say it opens in Lightroom, either use the Edit In function on the context menu (and open as smart object) or export it as a TIFF from there and open it.

Works for me better than the LRC method, cheers

• Like 1

RE: Issue of PS 2022 not recognizing .tif file output from StarNet++

Just found workaround using Adobe Bridge:  File>Export to>Custom Export   of a StarNet++ starless.tif to Image Format TIFF file will open in PS 2022.

The extension on the exported StarNet++ file is .tiff 

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1