Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

timetraveller

comet lulin visible now from swindon

hiya guys i have just been looking at comet lulin it is very faint looks rather like a dso fuzzy to find it look slightly east of south to the bottom of leo aim at regulus then move to the south one star and there she is looks very faint white bluish in colour:headbang: go take a look

I'm 12 miles out of Swindon and I've just caught it in my 1960s Wray Nine binoculars, but it was very faint, slightly below the naked eye (just) star Psi Leonis. I imagine a modern 15X70 binocular would pick it up easily. The shape and nucleus were clear in my little 60mm Viking birder's scope (same as Bushnell Spacemaster) - Hugh

I think I got it with my C8 around 23 h Paris Time (UTC +1), south Regulus. It was moving slighly in the eyepiece (Goto system was working).

I had the impression it was diappearing, when I realized the seeing was going worse and worse and that I had forgotten my dewshield.

I agree a faint Fuzzy DSO is a great description.

Saw it from here...unusually clear, but lots of thin whispy cloud preventing any serious imaging again...

still nice to see the comet....really easy to find too

Lots of thin cloud and LP tonight, so Lulin was very faint at the eyepiece.

Not good for imaging like you say Nick, but thought I would have a go at guiding on the comet, 4 x 4 min's through an SLR lens and HX916

Mike

post-13376-133877357707_thumb.gif

Edited by MikeD

Nice image, Mike

Managed to spot it from Hertfordshire with the aid of Stellarium.

As others have said, appears as a faint smudge, but well worth looking for. :lol:

Wow, that is clever stuff MIke. As good as on the "Sky at Night."

Several years ago, your video would have been at the cutting edge of technology!

Great to see the comet actually moving across the stars!

(It's been horrendously cloudy u[ her at Connah's Quay, North Wales. Hoping it clears a bit tonight!

Regards,

philsail1

Yes, good image that Mike. I'm just trying to process mine from last night at the minute.

Tried last night with deepskystacker after I came in, but I think I was too cold and tired and it just turned out as a big white square!!

Definitely a lot of high cloud around in Swindon last night, but it's the best night there's been for a while.

The MET reckons it will be clear skies tonight in SW, will it still be visible and where and what time should I look out tonight??

Carl

Of course it will be clear, because I can't play tonight.:lol:

Good luck all.

Mike.

Mike (Yfronto) ,

Just wanted to say I was very impressed by your moving image of Comet Lulin.

AM

P.S. Never sure how to address you guys , is it best to use your real name or the pseudonym ?

I managed a few shots of the comet, and a video...stuck em both in the deep sky imaging events section.. was just nice to finally get a good few hours imaging done this year