Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Homemade observatory dome

drivera

Hey there,

I'm looking at a winter project and I'm seeking some advice for someone in the UK ( not sure with category to put this in). I'm on 0.6 of an acre and decided (with the bosses permission) to start building a dome. I have been researching kits and some range from £3k to £20k and I'm a bit intrigued if people have tried to build their own retractable domes through a DIY or half makeshift shed that would do the trick? Otherwise recommended kits.

OR... 
A semi-portable 360' pier or fixed pier with a moveable shed to cover during poor weather nights but controllable? 

Many thanks,

Steve

Domes are difficult to build unless you have lots of practical experience.
Making them waterproof in the long term is even more difficult.
It is easy to cover them with tar felt but that attracts the sun's heat and makes them very heavy!
Glass fibre can be laid over a plywood dome but adds enormously to the cost.
It also leaves you with the rough, laid up surface on the exterior. Most people prefer a high gloss.

If you have the funds I would recommend a ready-made GRP dome with its own rotation track and shutter. 
Pulsar do a "low wall" design in two sizes.  2.2m and 2.7m Ø.  Bung one on top of a suitable shed and you are ready to go:

Pulsar 2 2m Short Height Observatory Dome

Or, try building one of Peter Drew's arched domes. Made from gently curved, flat sheets of aluminium. No 3D curved gores!
Plenty of head and shoulder room too compared with a hemispherical dome.

https://www.astronomycentre.org.uk/index.php/2-uncategorised/18-current-state-of-progress-at-the-astronomy-centre

If you must go for a dome then go commercial as suggested.   Some have attempted DIY domes and they end up being heavy, costly and or time consuming.  

Alternatively look at "traditional" roll off roof type observatories, which are far easier for DIY construction.

I built a fibreglass on timber dome about ten years ago. It was a pain, it had quite a few repairs and rebuilds, and over the years cost me a not inconsiderable sum.

This last spring, it split, once again, due to water ingress into a ply gore. I gave up, and would you believe it, on the very same day, Pulsar put up an used 2.7 short dome on Abs, for not much more than what I must have spent over the years on building one!

Lesson learnt, the new dome is watertight and turns much easier than the wooden one.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the challenge of the build, so, if you want the experience, build a dome, otherwise, keep your eyes peeled for a good used one.

Just my twopence.

Huw

• Like 1

Yeah, good used one is the way to go. I managed to get a pulsar 2.7m dome with full height walls for £1800 three years ago. Not looked back despite having to repair it last year when thieves tried to get in after a house move and I left it at the previous address until I could collect it. Still long story but shows you they are tough nuts to crack, lol. I think there was a pulsar 2m on Facebook atro buy and sell site the net for sale in the UK. 

PSX_20211104_195022.jpg

Edited by Nigella Bryant
Pic added