Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with beginner solar imaging

Starslayer

So it feels a tad strange posting away from the beginner section but here is dedicated to solar work.  As a beginner I have been observing the sun and did quite well with the last eclipse etc.  I have since purchased a SVBONY SV205 camera to use on moon and planets with my 6" Celestron SCT.  Weather has been rubbish so today I have tried to image the sun using this camera and Sharpcap capture software. I can obviously locate the sun ok but when I pop in the camera - fully aware that it will be something like a 5mm ep I cannot get anything to speak of on laptop screen despite focus adjusting in both directions to the limit and ramping up the exposure / gain etc.  I can see a brighter area on my scree which is clearly the sun's edge but that is about it.  

So, am I doing something wrong? - Clearly.

Is the camera up to the task?

Are there particular settings I should be applying to Sharpcap for this daylight solar work?

Thank you

One hopes you have a suitable filter on the SCT!

I don't have this 'scope but first thoughts are focus. If you use the camera during daylight on a distant object, or on the moon, can you get focus? I'm a bit confused by your mention of a 5mm ep.

3 minutes ago, fifeskies said:

What type of solar filter or Herschel wedge are you using for your solar imaging?

Celestron filter. https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/celestron-eclipsmart6.html

Herschel Wedge. ( I am off to google that one ).  🤔😉. Edit - ok done that.  Not got one of those.  

Edited by Starslayer

4 minutes ago, Altocumulus said:

One hopes you have a suitable filter on the SCT!

I don't have this 'scope but first thoughts are focus. If you use the camera during daylight on a distant object, or on the moon, can you get focus? I'm a bit confused by your mention of a 5mm ep.

Yes I get focus easily on distant land objects in daylight. Moon is a breeze in both day and night.  Got Jupiter a couple of times too.  5mm?  When removing low power ep from scope having located target, I drop the camera in and it is the equivalent of swapping to a 5mm ep as far as focus goes. 

10 minutes ago, Altocumulus said:

Forget the wedge - likely unsuitable for your type of 'scope. Stick with the filter.....

Yes don't use Herschel with an SCT, or any mirror type scope , read too quickly to notice you were using an SCT.

Only really to be used with refractors, and even then some (eg 4 lens types) are not suitable.