Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sbvony products.

ollypenrice

2 minutes ago, gorann said:

Not sure why all you are so sarcastic about this company and its name. Their T2 and M48 extender sets are cheap (a fraction of the price from our UK/EU dealers) and works great, and really good to have in excess when you struggle to get the right distances in your rig, but I would probably not try the rest of their offerings.....

Nothing against their products! Just mystified by how to enunciate their name...

I've been asked once or twice if I'm Les. The first time it baffled me. My father in law was called Les, short for Leslie, but why me?  Then it dawned on me: Les Granges.  

:Dlly

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, gorann said:

Not sure why all you are so sarcastic about this company and its name. Their T2 and M48 extender sets are cheap (a fraction of the price from our UK/EU dealers) and works great, and really good to have in excess when you struggle to get the right distances in your rig, but I would probably not try the rest of their offerings.....

I honestly didn't understand anyone to be being sarcastic.  Perhaps something has gone missing in translation?

I have to agree about their T2 extension tubes though.  I've found them very useful.

James

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Let me guess. Zymurgy, a depressive state afflicting brewers whose ales refuse to clarify and have excessive deposits of a largely brown character at the bottom of the barrel. Also a digestive disorder brought on by imbibing such ales.

It sounds as though it could be.  Maybe even should be :)  However, if I recall correctly it's actually the study of fermentation using yeasts.

James

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Or ‘bony’ as in mine lies over the ocean?

That’s ‘Bonny’ surely? Bony rhymes with Pony, same reason that Sony doesn’t rhyme with Bonny! 🤪🤪

1 minute ago, tomato said:

Yes, great value for money products, dare I say it some ZWO accessories look to be re-badged SVbony items…

I have wondered if some of these things aren't mass-produced in a factory in China and then get rebadged by almost everyone.  Which is fine for the simple items as they're likely to be identical wherever you get them, but it doesn't reassure me when it's something more complex.  For example, where two vendors are selling what appears to be the same product at significantly different prices, it's not possible to know if the cheaper one has agreed to take a lower standard of product from the actual manufacturer.  For example, where the product involves a fan, one might have gone for a cheaper type that may fail more quickly whereas the other has taken a more expensive option that should be more reliable.

I'm not suggesting that SVBony do this, but these thoughts do cross my mind when I see radically different pricing.  Take the many different vendors re-selling cameras made by Touptek, for instance.

James

6 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Sony, Bony or Bonny - this is very good deal:

That looks very much like the one that TSO sell: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7169_TS-Optics-ED-APO-80-mm-f-7-Refractor-with-2-5--R-P-focuser.html

which does claim to be FPL-51.

So what then explains the difference in price?

James

2 minutes ago, Astro Noodles said:

I like that pronunciation. Sviebonie

I think it could be more Russian/Slavic sounding like Svbonya

Perhaps it's Gaelic, in which case it's probably pronounced "star" :D

James

• Haha 2

Just now, JamesF said:

So what then explains the difference in price?

2" vs 2.5" focuser and simply large margin of TS.

I was looking for pier adapter for my Heq5. Altair Astro makes one for £66.63 (VAT & shipping excluded). Same item at TS is sold for 110,84 EUR (again VAT and shipping excluded).

£66 is about 80e, so that is 30e margin right there (and they might have some sort of discount when getting the item from AA).

Unfortunately for me - AA does not ship items to my country so I'll be forced to order from TS if/when I decide to purchase that adapter.

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

I suppose an English speaker shouldn't growl too loudly since we have a word with six consecutive consonants.*

At the other end of the scale I live near a French village called Eyguians which I consider to be an example of irritable vowel syndrome.

Olly

*Kinghtsbridge. We're used to it but imagine a rational being looking at ghtsbr in the middle of the word and preferring Svbony any day. :D

Well, somebody has to point this out Olly, that's actually seven consecutive consonants! 🤭

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RobertI said:

Well, somebody has to point this out Olly, that's actually seven consecutive consonants! 🤭

I knew it didn't seem enough! Thank you, kind Sir, for improving the point I was trying to make.

🤣lly

10 hours ago, JamesF said:

Perhaps it's Gaelic, in which case it's probably pronounced "star" :D

James

Wasn't there a Python exchange along the lines of,

You must be Mr Smith?

Ah , well it's spelled 'Smith' but it's pronounced 'Luxury Yacht.'

😁lly

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Try to pronounce this Welsh word . 🙀🙀🙀

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

"Saint Mary's Church in a hollow of white hazel near the rapid whirlpool of the church of Saint Tysilio with a red cave"?

Or perhaps this:

Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu

Which would be translated from Maori like:

"The summit where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, the climber of mountains, the land-swallower who travelled about, played his nose flute to his loved one"

source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_long_place_names

My French wife and I have plenty of competitive banter over the eccentricities of our respective mother tongues. My ultimate weapon is the French counting system, so I'll say 'I went to Spain in the summer of ten-nine-hundred-four-twenty-ten-seven!'  (Dix-neuf cent quatre-vingt dix-neuf or... 1987.) I also watch like a hawk when she's jotting numbers down over the phone. At some point she's bound to cross out a six because the speaker has started with 'soixante' (60) but added 'dix-sept' (17, making 77) after she's written a six. Ha! Gotcha!! 🤣

Olly

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

My French wife and I have plenty of competitive banter over the eccentricities of our respective mother tongues. My ultimate weapon is the French counting system, so I'll say 'I went to Spain in the summer of ten-nine-hundred-four-twenty-ten-seven!'  (Dix-neuf cent quatre-vingt dix-neuf or... 1987.) I also watch like a hawk when she's jotting numbers down over the phone. At some point she's bound to cross out a six because the speaker has started with 'soixante' (60) but added 'dix-sept' (17, making 77) after she's written a six. Ha! Gotcha!! 🤣

Olly

Swedish has the same logical system as English, so "twenty-one" is "tjugo-ett". But Norwegian and Dannish, just like German, got it backwards. So "twenty-one" in Norwegian and Dannish is "en og tyve". Obviously writing down phone numbers take longer😆. This has happened even if some linguistic scholars say there is only one Scandinavian language with different dialects. However, in Norwegian it is also correct and encouraged to use the Swedish (i.e. logical) way of doing it, but few people do. Incidentally I have a Dannish wife but she has fortunately rapidly picked up Swedish (the whole language, not only numbers).

Göran

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

I use an item called a siqveland matrix band on a daily basis. It’s pronounced SWEEV-LAND.   So i think I like the one mentioned above ‘Sviebonie’

14 hours ago, Astro Noodles said:

I like that pronunciation. Sviebonie

26 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

That's settled then - never ever going to learn to speak French (not that I was going to anyway, but this way it's official :D ).

Yes, but it's the best language in the world for discussing the important matter of cheese!

2 hours ago, gorann said:

Swedish has the same logical system as English, so "twenty-one" is "tjugo-ett". But Norwegian and Dannish, just like German, got it backwards. So "twenty-one" in Norwegian and Dannish is "en og tyve". Obviously writing down phone numbers take longer😆. This has happened even if some linguistic scholars say there is only one Scandinavian language with different dialects. However, in Norwegian it is also correct and encouraged to use the Swedish (i.e. logical) way of doing it, but few people do. Incidentally I have a Dannish wife but she has fortunately rapidly picked up Swedish (the whole language, not only numbers).

Göran

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

Some older folks within my memory still said things like "one-and-twenty", or even "four-and-twenty" (A vulgar song involving Inverness)

Indeed. My grandmother (born in 1890) always said 'five and twenty' and never twenty-five. However, she'd only do this with twenty, not the rest, and it was only five and twenty that was set in stone. The other twenties might go either way. :D

Olly

Apparently using terms like five and twenty or four and twenty etc goes back to the days when people knew their numbers up to twenty but over that they made up larger numbers by adding them together and some like five and twenty for some reason stuck around. 🤔

As in the old nursery rhyme (original version)

Sing a Song of Sixpence,
A bag full of Rye,
Four and twenty Naughty Boys,
Baked in a Pye.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1