SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Rare Sight.

Geoff Barnes

I had a brief but amazing session last night with Jupiter displaying quite possibly the most action packed show I've ever seen.

I had just missed Io and Ganymede transiting but both had left their shadows on the western edge of the Jovian surface very close together, and to cap it all off the GRS was emerging on the eastern side.

Seeing conditions to start with were excellent and the two tiny lunar shadows were very sharply etched, with Ganymede's shadow clearly slightly larger than Io's. Not much surface activity evident although all the main bands were clear and colourful. But that didn't matter, to have two shadow transits and the GRS all visible together was more than enough to satisfy, a rare sight indeed!

High cloud sheet encroached after half an hour and the image became too dim to continue. If only sights like these were more common on clear nights!

The image attached is from SkySafari but is exactly as it appeared through the Morpheus 6.5mm eyepiece.

Jupiter.jpg.59d83cd53348679f33594660ef1859a2.jpg

• Like 17