Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Remote connection

newbie alert

Hi all,  I've used  teamviewer in the past but it's just started to play up.. says that the partner isn't connected to the internet( which it is) thought about anydesk but I'm not a fan of Google wanting to gather info in the form of cookies.. any other options?

What OS are you using?

I use Windows in the main but have a couple of Raspberry PIs - and I use Remote Desktop on the PCs / laptops, and VNC on a tablet or phone when I have to.

Remote desktop just works, and works well - VNC is ok, albeit a little annoying on a touchscreen. This is all on an internal LAN (wired and wireless), and I haven'ttried RDP (remote desktop protocol) over the internet.

Some people do not like Teamviewer and say they have nothing but trouble with it but I have used it for years, not just for astro stuff but in work for connecting to things all over the world and has always worked just fine.
My other tool of choice is actually the Windows remote desktop, again which works fine (for me) and is easy to use both monitors on my desktop PC .
I am not that knowledgeable about these things and I keep hearing from those that are that remote desktop is not the best choice but I cannot say I have any issues at all with it.

Steve

Just now, newbie alert said:

Both are connected to the wifi

Have you changed routers, or any other settings or added anything significant recently?

Most instances of Teamviewer not connected are due to some sort of change locally. The "not connected to the internet" is a red herring - it's actually saying it can't find the other device which does suggest Teamviewer traffic isn't getting through over your wifi

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

Have you changed routers, or any other settings or added anything significant recently?

Most instances of Teamviewer not connected are due to some sort of change locally. The "not connected to the internet" is a red herring - it's actually saying it can't find the other device which does suggest Teamviewer traffic isn't getting through over your wifi

That sounds like DHCP to me, i.e. an IP address has changed, unless teamviewer can automatically compensate for this?

Just now, Jonk said:

That sounds like DHCP to me, i.e. an IP address has changed, unless teamviewer can automatically compensate for this?

Yeah, well it should do. All remote access software (broadly!) uses a local app to broadcast to a server saying it's alive and ready for connections. That will also tell the server what IP it's at and the name of the device. 

When you connect your viewer connects to the same and then establishes a connection. It can work on a local network - it just broadcasts locally instead. However, the actual connection itself is over a different protocol (usually a specific port on the router or firewall) and if that port is blocked then no connection. Similarly if you get a new router and it doesn't allow traffic on that port over the network it'll fail as well