Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quick overview of the EXOS2 pmc8 mount after a year of casual use.

Chris

There still isn't a huge amount of info out there for the Explore Scientific EXOS2 mount, so I decided to throw a quick overview video together and cover some of the cool features and niggles I've found after a year of ownership. 

In my haste I did miss one niggle, the default ExploreStars software doesn't seem to result in very accurate gotos but apparently goto's are better with third party software via ASCOM, and it is fully ASCOM compliant. I've mainly used my EXOS2 as a sidereal tracking mount for both visual and casual imaging, but I'm starting to look at NINA for plate solving to see If I can get that to work well. If so I may keep the mount a while longer but I'm tempted to upgrade to bigger mount as I feel it's on the limit with an 8" reflector. 

The only other thing missing is periodic error correction but it does track quite well with it being belt driven, and It's quiet once balanced. However, balance is key as the motors on RA and Dec make a clicking ratcheting sound if an heavy payload is slightly out of balance. I think balance would be a pain if you need to setup and tear down each session unless you're using a lighter less demanding scope such as a 4" refractor or 6" Newtonian.

I think I've concluded it's a remarkably affordable mount considering the specs, but it's better suited to lighter payloads as you would typically use with an EQ5 class mount. 

*EDIT: One person in the YouTube comment section said they don't hear a ratcheting sound if their 200pds is out of balance, but others online have reported this:

https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/what-is-that-noisy-ratchet-sound-i-hear-from-my-mount-why-wont-my-mount-move

Edited by Chris
  • Like 1

Looks like a slightly beefed up GP with goto Chris. I would imagine the tracking is much smoother with the belt drives though. All the payload specs they give out for this class of mount are a bit ambitious in my opinion. I have a 4" refractor on a GP2 and I wouldn't want to put anything larger on it. Another great video.👍

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Looks like a slightly beefed up GP with goto Chris. I would imagine the tracking is much smoother with the belt drives though. All the payload specs they give out for this class of mount are a bit ambitious in my opinion. I have a 4" refractor on a GP2 and I wouldn't want to put anything larger on it. Another great video.👍

I think a beefed up GP mount with Goto perfectly describes this mount in a sentence :)

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Franklin said:

When are FLO going to loan you a Paramount MyT ?

I'd love to see a review video of that beauty ! 🙂

Thanks for the vote of confidence, although I think I'm way too much of a casual imager to give the MyT justice in all honestly.

I mean I didn't even provide a guide graph in the above video hehe. That one may be best in the hands of more serious imagers. 

I definitely pitch more towards the beginner and intermediate astronomers, but FLO have just loaned me one of the new StellaMira 90mm Triplets which I plan to review for both imaging and visual. I'm very excited about that! :)

• Like 1