Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter tonight - Celestron C-90 Mak

Peter_D

Hi,

Here's an image of Jupiter taken this evening - you can just make out Io to the left and Europa to the right.

I used my Celestron C-90 Mak on an SE Mount. It's a nice, light weight combination and one that I will use more often in future.

Jupiter was right over a neighbour's chimney so I was getting quite a bit of turbulance. I had captured over 70K frames in 5 minutes but in the end, only 20K were useable.

Equipment: Celestron C-90 Maksutov, Zwo ADC, Flip Mirror, 1.5x Barlow, Baader UV-IR Cut filter, Zwo asi224mc.

20000 Frames captured, best 10% used. PIPP, Autostekkert!3, Registax6. Final image reduced to 70% of original.

Clear skies

Peter

Jupiter_20K_1-5B_70PC.png

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Peter_D said:

Hi,

Here's an image of Jupiter taken this evening - you can just make out Io to the left and Europa to the right.

I used my Celestron C-90 Mak on an SE Mount. It's a nice, light weight combination and one that I will use more often in future.

Jupiter was right over a neighbour's chimney so I was getting quite a bit of turbulance. I had captured over 70K frames in 5 minutes but in the end, only 20K were useable.

Equipment: Celestron C-90 Maksutov, Zwo ADC, Flip Mirror, 1.5x Barlow, Baader UV-IR Cut filter, Zwo asi224mc.

20000 Frames captured, best 10% used. PIPP, Autostekkert!3, Registax6. Final image reduced to 70% of original.

Clear skies

Peter

Jupiter_20K_1-5B_70PC.png

That’s a really great shot Peter, and all the more so for a little Mak Peter 👍. I’ve heard sticking below 3 minutes can be beat on Jupiter to stop rotation blurring the detail, I wonder if that would make any difference?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

That’s a really great shot Peter, and all the more so for a little Mak Peter 👍. I’ve heard sticking below 3 minutes can be beat on Jupiter to stop rotation blurring the detail, I wonder if that would make any difference?

Doh! Thanks Stu, I had it at 5 minutes because I had imaged Saturn last time. Thanks for pointing out the error.

Yes, I don't use the Mak enough - it definitely punches above its size!

1 minute ago, Peter_D said:

Doh! Thanks Stu, I had it at 5 minutes because I had imaged Saturn last time. Thanks for pointing out the error.

Yes, I don't use the Mak enough - it definitely punches above its size!

I’m really only parroting information I’ve been told, I’ve no experience of it myself! Can you reprocess a shorter part of the video and see if that makes any difference at all?

8 hours ago, Stu said:

I’m really only parroting information I’ve been told, I’ve no experience of it myself! Can you reprocess a shorter part of the video and see if that makes any difference at all?

Or de Rotate the 5 min capture. But at this resolution 5 mins de rotated wont make a huge difference i dont think. But worth a try maybe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1