SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My Neighbours 1) Really 2) really 3) really like security lights.

Chris

I blame Charlie Dimmock! [lol]! Re-viewing a daytime "Garden Rescue" thing...
with the "Rich" (sic?) Brothers... A Lighting GANTRY in a suburban garden?!? 🙄

My neighbours are ALL into (various) outide Lighting and Heating these days...
But a lot of daytime (more) TV these days is stuck in an alternative universe? 😅

On 24/10/2021 at 00:51, johninderby said:

Sorry Chris but this is the view just now out of my conservatory door looking at the back garden. 🙂

1CAB394A-2CE2-4D67-A35D-7782BC7F8586.jpeg

Mr Inderby. You Sir are a Git of the first order.........

😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Laurieast said:

@ChrisHas this situation changed or improved? Or any the wiser why they have done that?

It's a bit like with any security lights: sometimes they're on and sometimes they're off. 

No clue as to why they need 3, and with 2 of them so high up. 

I used to only observe from my back garden.

Now my neighbour has lights - I never observe from my back garden anymore, and I get out observing significantly less overall, though I'm fortunate to have an option within 20mins drive, and a scope I can dismantle to travel with.

I live close to a soccer stadium, and the practice fields are lit up pretty much every night. The big field lights only go on when their first team plays. This is my sqm measurement graph on such a night: 

317344A2-70B5-4C6A-AB38-EC5E224BDA49.thumb.jpeg.d1847c7594684902e35ed99bccfb54e2.jpeg

when the lights go off, the sqm jumps from 18 to 19. 

can’t wait to move away from this place.

I feel for the sufferers. My neighbour got burgled while they were asleep and now has security lights front and back. The good news is that they're PIR, the bad news is that they pick me up when I'm out observing in my back garden.

I don't blame him, he's got some justification, I just wish the sensors weren't so sensitive. 

On 23/10/2021 at 21:26, Chris said:

I mainly wanted to share this because it's such a curiosity to see someone light up their house to such an extent.

Problem is, they never light up their house. If they put the lights at the bottom of the garden shining back I might consider them a bit less bone headedly selfish. 

Edited by Dave Lloyd
Missing word
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Dave Lloyd said:

Problem is, they never light up their house. If they put the lights at the bottom of the garden shining back I might consider them a bit less bone headedly selfish. 

You make an excellent point Dave!

Putting aside any obvious bias I do find it very odd that there doesn't seem to be any planning requirements for outside lighting on a residential house (or maybe there are that I'm not aware of?). I could go to the local DIY store and fill the trolley up with them then then bath the garden with lights, and illuminate the house on all sides (and have the curtains closed of course - doh!) without worry - is this correct? 

Yet if I wanted to change the drive there are all sorts of considerations as to the type of surface and surface area to try and stop flooding etc. Wasted energy from unnecessary or excess lighting across the country for the whole year must amount to a massive figure and related pollution from generation too. It seems such an obvious focus area for governments to target with regard to environmental credentials. Switching off every other street light would be a good start in many areas where they are so close to each other. And in this day and age why do you still see some offices empty, left with all the lights on overnight.

• Like 2

It is really so sad seeing so much light at night that is not necessary. 

I go to work at 4am. Almost every shop close to town is closed, but all their interior and exterior lights are going full blast!

If they only cut that by 1/3 the energy saved would be substantial! Not to even mention less L/P!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 7170 said:

Wasted energy from unnecessary or excess lighting across the country for the whole year must amount to a massive figure and related pollution from generation too. It seems such an obvious focus area for governments to target with regard to environmental credentials. Switching off every other street light would be a good start in many areas where they are so close to each other. And in this day and age why do you still see some offices empty, left with all the lights on overnight.

Happily my local council does exactly this : every other street light off after midnight, it was a money saving option they initially tried out a coupe of years ago when they needed to save money, and after the trial period the population were OK with it, so it continues.

I'm hoping the domestic 'insecurity' lighting might be affected by the increases in power bills, as folk realise that even a few tens of watts run for hours each and every night eventually add up .

Gov. page on the subject of light nuisance, applies to England only  : https://www.gov.uk/guidance/artificial-light-nuisances-how-councils-deal-with-complaints

Heather

• Like 1

I feel the pain. The woman behind me cleared the woods behind her house and put in TWO huge security lights, tall like streetlamps, that light up her property like daytime. The front side is lit up like daytime by streetlamps.

This is a house that likes to illuminate every other house around it. I am so grateful that they use their own money to illuminate my garden :)

This house is two gardens away from mine and quite why they need this amount of illumination baffles me. They put it on for about 3 hours when it gets dark during the year so in summer when it does not get dark till 10pm it is on till about 1am. At the moment it comes on at about 6pm for a few hours then goes off, quite strange. If they look out their back window they can surely see that it lights up at least 3 other gardens so in that mind I feel a complaint to the council is in order.

AS for my immediate neighbors they sometimes do leave lights on all night but I have devised a system to use sheeting that blocks all the stray lights. I can put this up quite easy (one sheet pulls across a retractable washing line) so it is ready for if a light is left on.

20211027_230524.thumb.jpg.ac814f012a6e9a9ccb256a5d358a171c.jpg

• Sad 2

53 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

This is a house that likes to illuminate every other house around it. I am so grateful that they use their own money to illuminate my garden :)

This house is two gardens away from mine and quite why they need this amount of illumination baffles me. They put it on for about 3 hours when it gets dark during the year so in summer when it does not get dark till 10pm it is on till about 1am. At the moment it comes on at about 6pm for a few hours then goes off, quite strange. If they look out their back window they can surely see that it lights up at least 3 other gardens so in that mind I feel a complaint to the council is in order.

AS for my immediate neighbors they sometimes do leave lights on all night but I have devised a system to use sheeting that blocks all the stray lights. I can put this up quite easy (one sheet pulls across a retractable washing line) so it is ready for if a light is left on.

20211027_230524.thumb.jpg.ac814f012a6e9a9ccb256a5d358a171c.jpg

Blinkin' atrocious whether you're an astronomer or not. If they angled the light down, or put it at the rear of the garden facing their house, it would probably not bother anyone else. Definitely complaint worthy.

• Like 1

On 23/10/2021 at 20:35, Chris said:

They have just upgraded from their two security lights to 3 security lights. I thought it was the Full Moon glaring through the curtains!

20211023_202707.jpg

20211023_202725.jpg

That looks worthy of a council complaint tbh, totally unnecessary to have lights mounted so high up on a house, and besides nobody wants to look at that hideous conservatory, I bet that’s comfortable in summertime 😂 

• Like 1

On 23/10/2021 at 20:35, Chris said:

They have just upgraded from their two security lights to 3 security lights. I thought it was the Full Moon glaring through the curtains!

20211023_202707.jpg

20211023_202725.jpg

That looks worthy of a council complaint tbh, totally unnecessary to have lights mounted so high up on a house, and besides nobody wants to look at that hideous conservatory, I bet that’s comfortable in summertime 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am in the process of inventing a gizmo which measures the ammount of light pollution,  and if high, gives out a continueing beep beep until the offending light is switched off. It isn't perfected yet. When it is, I hope to  place it on my house roof.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DAVE AMENDALL said:

I am in the process of inventing a gizmo which measures the ammount of light pollution,  and if high, gives out a continueing beep beep until the offending light is switched off. It isn't perfected yet. When it is, I hope to  place it on my house roof.  

Great idea but unfortunately it relies on the owner of the offending light having the mental capacity to link the light to the bleep. Experience suggests most folk are dimmer than their offensive lights.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Their IQ is inversely proportional to the brightness of their lights. 🤔

You beat me to it.

15 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

That's very similar to my inverse law : "The volume of car stereos is  inversely proportional to the tastefulness of the music involved."

Also: "The amount of noise which anyone can bear undisturbed stands in inverse proportion to his mental capacity"
- Arthur Schopenhauer

• Like 3