SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M13

Rodd

4 minutes ago, jetstream said:

The 24" is f4.1 with a mirror from Terry Ostahowski, same as the 15" in vg Astrosystems structures. These structures maximize contrast in many ways and I'm lucky to observe from 21.8 ish mag skies in NW Ontario. Hard to beat these USA made optics and structures.

24" at F4.1--that is unbelievable.  What sthe focal length?  

1 minute ago, Rodd said:

24" at F4.1--that is unbelievable.  What sthe focal length?  

98.4" or 2499mm- its a very good scope, really high contrast. The 15" goes well over 700x on the moon razor sharp and is my favorite scope- until I look through the 24" lol!

The 24" provides a hugely better view of DSO- some DSO in particular than the 15" ie the Veil, Crescent etc and it makes the "Little Veil" very easy visually. Wicked on PN, galaxies etc. M81 spirals very easy etc.The list goes on.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jetstream said:

98.4" or 2499mm- its a very good scope, really high contrast. The 15" goes well over 700x on the moon razor sharp and is my favorite scope- until I look through the 24" lol!

The 24" provides a hugely better view of DSO- some DSO in particular than the 15" ie the Veil, Crescent etc and it makes the "Little Veil" very easy visually. Wicked on PN, galaxies etc. M81 spirals very easy etc.The list goes on.

I had a 14" scope (Meade RCX) 10-12 years ago.  I got it to image before I knew anything about imaging.  When I learned I needed to spend $600 on a giant wedge, I sold it and got refractors and the C11Edge.  I used the 14" exclusively for optical and I could see a grand total of about 5 objects from my location--and all but one were in the solar system.  I could never see M51 even.  I used an OIII visual filter to see if it would help with nebulae and almost saw part of the viel I think.  At the time I did not know what the viel looked like, so it is hard to be sure--I have always thought I saw a faint portion of the Cygnus Loop.

I was so dissapointed with what I could see--in a grayish, muddy background, that it almost put an end to my astronomy.  I did see Uranus once though--that was cool.  A little greenish marble.  The Moon was great, naturally.  But that is about it.  I tried my hand at double star measuring--joined the society of double stars (forget its acronym) and got a huge book with lots of plates (plastic) star maps.  Finding the stars was made easy by the fact that the maps were created for looking through telesciopes that invert the image.  My problem was clouds.  And I always had a hard time deciding if a star was a 3 or 4, or a 2.5 - whatever the number.   The sky makes such things difficult.  I got bored with it.

So I was almost forced to image (but it has been a life long dream so I can't complain).  But I would love to do visual again someday from a dark site.  My np101is with a 100 degree FOV low power eyepiece is supposed to be an amazing experience.  The TAKs are supposed to present stars like jewels on black velvet.  So far, I have not had such experinces with any of my scopes.  

On a good night with that 24" and a good 6mm eyepiece, you would have to brush moondust off your boots before going back in the house!

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Rodd said:

But I would love to do visual again someday from a dark site.  My np101is with a 100 degree FOV low power eyepiece is supposed to be an amazing experience.  The TAKs are supposed to present stars like jewels on black velvet.  So far, I have not had such experinces with any of my scopes.  

Yes your TV will provide a great widefield view- I love observing the Pleiades "Bubble" with such scopes, what a fine dazzling object. Dont forget about visual, try to get out and enjoy you imaging- your images are superb!

15 hours ago, Rodd said:

On a good night with that 24" and a good 6mm eyepiece, you would have to brush moondust off your boots before going back in the house!

Yes it gives bizarrely good views- I was setting up the Rigel a while back and used Jupiter- I was shocked at the low power 250x view... aperture really opens up detail. I was going after DSO and it did not disappoint in that area either. The moon is shockingly good in this scope...I leave it cooled sitting in a sea can.

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 1