SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M15 & M57 w 7" Mak (NV)

vineyard

Hello,

I set up the 7" STF7 f/10 last nigh - mostly for Jupiter & Saturn.  Once they had gone behind the trees, I thought I'd do a quick check w the PVS14 & the larger aperture.

The STF7 came with a 0.6x reducer, but I couldn't figure the spacing out on the night, so I stuck to f/10, and put in a TV40 and an 18.2mm Delite (making the system still a v-e-r-y slow f/6.5 & f/14 (!) respectively).

The photos below are handheld iPhone photos (ie wobbly = no prizes!) of M15 in Pegasus & M57 in Lyra (there are two of the M57xTV40 b/c I tried different gain settings).  Is it me or is there a central star in the M57x18Delite image (I don't think its scintillation) - could the PVS14 enhance mag15 central star?

Cheers,

Vin

IMG_4421.jpg

IMG_4427.jpg

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_4422.jpg

IMG_4425.jpg

Edited by vineyard
  • Like 1

I'm certain you got the central star. In fact, I think you also got the other prominent star there as well, to the right and slightly above the central star. I think you'd need to study closely at the eyepiece but it look like it to me. Have added a mirrored and rotated b/w image for comparison.

1365978315_Screenshot2021-10-22at17_52_40.png.12bc13e96cae05a10e8e8d34afbf4da5.png2032002911_Screenshot2021-10-22at17_50_32.thumb.png.858a91becb14badf099725cb084cd96f.png

• Like 1

Thanks both @badhex & @Mike JW that's exciting re the central star - will look closer the next time (& maybe try a 9DL to see if it pops out clearer with more magnification) - there was a fierce moon and some light cloud last night.

Thanks also re the spacing Mike!  That makes sense - I was using a mirrored 1.25 diagonal and it was just too far - couldn't take the EP any closer in.  Will try a prism next time, although the recess in the reducer is about 24mm, which could make it interesting - let's see.  Hope you're well - loving the STF7 (planetary views are brilliant).

• Like 1

Thanks @Highburymark - yes I've been v impressed & pleased w the NV on clusters & PN.  Am drawing up a list of clusters to work through (may even do a compare & contrast from the Bortle 8 skies here).  & am looking fwd to having a go at Rosette & Flaming Star & California & Heart & Soul & many more once I get my hands on an Ha!