Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher focuser

Hi there. I am finding the supplied focuser on my Skywatcher flex tube 200p too coarse. If i get an object in focus, when i release the wheel it goes out, made worse by tube wobble. So, would i be barking up the wrong tree to try and replace the focuser with a motor drive version? Any views appreciated. I am new  to this, bought my scope from Rother Valley. Live in darkest Lockerbie, Scotland, 300mtrs up on a hill. Lucky boy, eh?

The stock focuser isn’t great. SW do a straight bolt on upgrade for the scope though.Having a dual speed focuser makes focusing a lot better.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/dual-speed-crayford-1252-inch-focuser-for-skywatcher-explorer.html

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

Or, fit a Sky-Watcher Auto (electric) Focuser to your existing focuser and wonder how you ever lived without one. I have the same focuser as yours on my Explorer 150p, the motor locks it in the desired position, and the image does not move around when focusing. It fits the duel speed focuser as well. I have one on both my main scopes now.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/skywatcher-auto-focuser.html

Your location sounds great!

Edited by Laurieast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Try adjusting the pinion tension by tightening the grub/set screw in the center of the plate holding the focuser shaft.  This should fix the focuser losing focus the moment you release the focuser knob.  To reduce focuser tube wobble, I recall reading that it might be possible to shim the side opposite the pinion shaft with lengths of milk bottle plastic or similar set 120 degrees apart from the pinion and each other.  Simply tightening the pinion shaft tension might be sufficient, though.

There are further mods you can make to it mentioned in this video:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, old geeza said:

Aye, but not sure I want to go that route. Could be a problem if i ever sell to upgrade. Cheers though.

Only if you put the original focuser back on before selling it.  I doubt any buyer would balk at a few extra holes in the tube if it means getting a better focuser in the deal.

22 hours ago, johninderby said:

While not a top of the range focuser it it is still much better built and the dual speed focusing makes fine focusing so much better. 

Interesting as I have not had any problems with the supplied focuser.