Narrowband

Eastern Veil with L Extreme

StuartT

Managed to get a couple of hours on the Eastern Veil last night with the L Extreme filter.

190 x 35sec subs (1h 51m integration time)
FL = 808mm
ASI2600MC Pro
no guiding, no calibration frames
Processed in SiriL and Photoshop

...and no mucking about with channels. just as it came out of the camera.

processed result plus AstroFlats Pro and GEx.jpg

Edited by StuartT
  • Like 24

The result is so surprising with only 1h50m intergration, 35sec subs, and no caliberation or dithering (No manual dithering is an assumption?)

I would be happy with a result like that if I had caliberation frames, dithering and 4h intergration time :D Very nice!! Love the detail

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Grant93 said:

The result is so surprising with only 1h50m intergration, 35sec subs, and no caliberation or dithering (No manual dithering is an assumption?)

I would be happy with a result like that if I had caliberation frames, dithering and 4h intergration time :D Very nice!! Love the detail

No manual dithering (I wouldn't know how to do that).

Tbh, I just like to keep things simple. And I seem to get decent results. 

That is a great image for the short integration time and no calibration or dithering. Just think how good it would be with guiding and calibration frames!! You have a great set up with the Esprit and 2600mc and adding guiding would be a small step but make a HUGE difference. At 800mm FL you could simply adapt the SW finderscope at minimal cost.

Looking at this really does push me towards ONC imaging. I have too many unfinished LRGB images!

• Thanks 1

With 190 subs from an inherently low noise camera I don't see dithering being very significant. Its importance is proportional to noise so, for a guess, I'd say you probably wouldn't notice much difference. Anyway, running unguided you'll be getting a bit of natural dither anyway.  Your stars also look tight so, with these short subs (at no cost in terms of read noise) guiding wouldn't make the difference it usually does, either.

It's an excellent image and would go deeper with more integration. For such a simple approach it's more than excellent and nicely processed. I might be tempted to throw a slight blur into the stars set aganist the right hand part of the nebula since they are rather hard-edged. Alternatively a small clone stamp set to 'Lighten' might let you grab a bit of adjacent nebulosity to pop over the stars. It will only affect any dark ring around them.

Olly

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

With 190 subs from an inherently low noise camera I don't see dithering being very significant. Its importance is proportional to noise so, for a guess, I'd say you probably wouldn't notice much difference. Anyway, running unguided you'll be getting a bit of natural dither anyway.

I am looking at the image on a small laptop with a rubbish screen, but it looked to me that there was a fair amount of 'walking noise' running vertically. It might just be how it looks on my screen though.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

Awesome. What software do you use to control your mount?

Thanks.

Not sure what you mean. The tracking is obviously the mount's own firmware, but the pointing is done with NINA using the framing assistant. I also use NINA for focus, sequencing and polar alignment. Everything basically! I love NINA.

And for processing, I use SiriL and Photoshop

• Like 1