SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Masuyama Eyepiece 32mm 85°

vagk

37 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Thank you ,

I found lot reviews but few for fast scopes which mention it is not good at fast scopes...

It's a well executed UWA eyepiece using old school design techniques that don't do well in fast scopes.  Apparently, the polish and coatings on the lenses are phenomenal, so the central region is exquisite with the outer region framing it for context in your peripheral vision.  If you always observe on axis using a tracking mount, you might never be bothered by the outer region aberrations.

• Like 2

I really like them, although I'd have prefered a 50° to 60° AF. My first look through the 16mm Masuyama was quite memorable, in that the clarity and contrast was immediately evident. Sweeping through Cygnus revealed the black dust clouds effortlessly, and star colours were vivid with on axis images piercingly sharp.  However, there was significant distortion towards the edge of the field in my F8 scope, but because the field was so wide, it was easy to draw away from the eyepiece slightly and block out the edge of field. If anyone wants very high contrast on axis and is willing to forfeit the edge of field, or has a longer focal length telescope, the Masuyama may be just the ticket.

• Like 2

At f/5 the 31T5 will be far superior.  In the review I did that others linked to, in my f/8 the Masuyama was well controlled only in the center 75% of the FOV, so at f/5 I would expect it to be worse.  Given how good the contrast was in the eyepiece I was able to tolerate only the central 75% being tight, so liked it in my f/8.  But have to tell you, that the 31T5 is one heavy and large brick.  So ergonomically I have never liked that eyepiece as just too big and bulky, and it overwhelms smaller scopes.  The Masuyama was compact and light so a joy to use in that respect.

What kind of scope are you using?  If an f/5 Dob then FWIW realize that even the 31T5 will show a poor off-axis as it will not correct the coma from the mirror.  So if you do not have a coma corrector for the scope then that would be my first order of business, especially when wanting to use long focal length wide fields.  With eyepieces of 15mm and shorter you don't notice the coma so much since they show less TFOV so can easily get by without a coma corrector.  But longer than 15mm focal length and wide fields, then a a coma corrector makes a world of difference to the view when using f/5 and faster Dobs/Newts.

Edited by BillP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

I really like them, although I'd have prefered a 50° to 60° AF. My first look through the 16mm Masuyama was quite memorable, in that the clarity and contrast was immediately evident. Sweeping through Cygnus revealed the black dust clouds effortlessly, and star colours were vivid with on axis images piercingly sharp.  However, there was significant distortion towards the edge of the field in my F8 scope, but because the field was so wide, it was easy to draw away from the eyepiece slightly and block out the edge of field. If anyone wants very high contrast on axis and is willing to forfeit the edge of field, or has a longer focal length telescope, the Masuyama may be just the ticket.

I now have Mikes Masuyama 16mm and agree with his findings... excellent contrast on axis and vivid colours, but with quite a degree of distortion when moving away from the centre in my refractors.

However, I primarily use this in my Mewlon 180C (focal length 2160mm f/12) and it gives much better results off axis.... particularly lovely view of the whole of the moon with this eyepiece 👍

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, BillP said:

The Masuyama was compact and light so a joy to use in that respect.

Agree with Bill here, the 16mm is such a tiny and lightweight eyepiece and I would expect the others in the range to be the same. 

I've never tried it in my 10" f/5 Dob (I primarily use a set of Ethos and Paracorr for this), but might just do that next time for fun... however I would expect it to fall apart away from the centre 🤔

Some better-corrected eyepieces in the focal length include:

APM Ultra Flat Field 30mm 70°

Pentax XW 30mm 70°

These would also display less coma than 80+° because of the narrower apparent field.

Yet, at that magnification, they'd still be acceptably wide.

• Like 2