1912116577_Solarchallenge2022banner.jpg.913a200cf105ddeae9f37765cb1d0c73.jpg

Skymax 127?

Dear all

I have developed a bit of an interest in double stars. I currently use the ubiquitous ST80 with an AZ5 mount. I also have a 130/900 Newtonian with and EQ2 mount but I hardly ever use that as the skies here seldom stay clear for long and it's more of a faff to set up. I was wondering if a SM 127 might be a good "best" scope as it should work on my AZ5 mount (the SM150 looks to be a bit too heavy as I have the lighter tripod). Interests are visual and no Goto.

Edited by Richard N

12 minutes ago, etsatlo said:

Have you attempted to mount your Newtonian on the AZ5 at all? That would be my first call before purchasing anything new given the similar aperture

Good idea. I have not tried that. I think the weight is okay but I would need some new rings. One thing that I like about the refractor (and would apply to the Mak) is the comfortable sitting position for viewing. It is possible to get this withthe Newtonian of course but less easy.

If the 130/900 is any good, the 127mm Mak will not be an advance for double stars.  That said, the 127Mak is a fine instrument that will work well on double stars, but you need good eyepieces, not the tat supplied as starter eyepieces.

I would suggest you re-mount the Newtonian anyway so you are encouraged to use it more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richard N said:

Dear all

I have developed a bit of an interest in double stars. I currently use the ubiquitous ST80 with an AZ5 mount. I also have a 130/900 Newtonian with and EQ2 mount but I hardly ever use that as the skies here seldom stay clear for long and it's more of a faff to set up. I was wondering if a SM 127 might be a good "best" scope as it should work on my AZ5 mount (the SM150 looks to be a bit too heavy as I have the lighter tripod). Interests are visual and no Goto.

Key phrase in there for me which sounds warning  in a query about a mak is " skies here seldom stay clear for long "

I know exactly what you mean ,  and taking advantage of brief cloud-gap opportunities is one of the main reasons why I bought a refractor, first an ST80, but now upgraded to a (still cheap) 102mm apo.  I have a 127 mak, it's lovely for views of the Moon & planets, but I've put it outside to cool  many times, and found I've had to bring it back in because the clouds swarm in before the view-destroying thermal currents in the tube die down. My 127 needs a minimum of half an hour outside to cool before use.  On the plus side, mine is held nicely on my AZ5, so that shouldn't be a problem if you decide on the 127 (well, apart from the dovetail rail on the OTA version being under the mak tube, so to have the finder shoe in a sensible place, I have to mount the mak the 'other' way round on the arm, which has inconveniences of it's own ... )

If your viewing sessions are typically shorter than an hour, unless you have  some cold but sheltered place to store the mak ready cooled, I'd suggest a refractor would probably suit you better. I'm not particularly interested in double star observing , so can't say which refractor would suit that particular target best though !

Heather

• Thanks 1