Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC281 Pacman over the last two nights

Zummerzet_Leveller

Hi all.  I have just acquired an Optolong L-eXtreme from those lovely people @FLO (arrived on Saturday) so thought I'd test it out under our moon bathed skies.  Also had to contend with some thin high level cloud.  Up until now I had been imaging nebulae without any filters.  Not sure I'll ever do that again.  This data was a pleasure to process, so I did it twice.

Here's two interpretations of the data, a normal OSC image and then a false hubblesque one.

SW200P, ASI2600MC-Pro, EQ6-R, L-eXtreme and ASIAIR.  4hrs 40mins of 5min exposures, processed in Siril and GIMP.  I'd be interested to know which version is preferred.

As always comments, guidance and criticisms welcome.

Pacman_OSC_LX_Final_Low.thumb.jpg.5fc557110ce2e9a97e7ffa8f3449553e.jpg

And here's the false Hubblesque colour version:

Pacman_Hubblish_V1_Low.thumb.jpg.da9cab0f30f21e27bd263d502d96df37.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Jody.

I prefer the second one because I feel it reveals more structure and has more 'depth' to the image giving a sense of 3D - not planar.

My personal view is it interesting to experiment with colours to reveal detail and structure - one thing PixInsight and PixelMath lets you do with relative ease.

Thanks for sharing.

Adrian

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

I prefer the second one because I feel it reveals more structure and has more 'depth' to the image giving a sense of 3D - not planar.

Thanks Adrian.  I agree, although with better processing and more data on the red image I am sure the 3D feel could be achieved.  Now I just need to learn how to control star colours with the new filter.  In the false colour image the Blue channel isn't used at all which is why I think the stars are better.  I seem to be getting a red halo and poor colour on the yellow stars in the standard OSC image.

If the skies clear again this year I might try and get more data!

• Like 1