Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

MESSIER BOOK WITH TELRAD FINDER CHARTS?

paulastro

The only Messier Guide I know which has this is Penningtons book below.

528884042_Screenshot_20211018-105553_AmazonShopping.jpg.8d4537f25f9dcf0eb076e2e945157b2d.jpg

I've put a wanted ad on SGL for a copy of this, but this may be a long shot as it was published yonks ago.

Does anyone know of any other Messier book/Guide which contains Telrad finder charts for each object?  

If you do I'd be very grateful for a heads up, even if it's now out of print.

I have found them online, but I'm afraid I don't have any printer facilities to print them off.

Thanks for reading, Paul

Many thanks Robbie.  I did see this, but its more than I would pay for it, I could have perhaps managed £25,  for £50 I could probably buy a printer and print off the online charts I came across! 😄 Thanks for the heads up anyway Robbie.

• Haha 1

If you don't mind reading some German:

https://www.oculum-verlag.de/detailview?no=594

By the publisher of the Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas - a very thought-out book, detailed and self-explaining, with Telrad circles.

Moreover, a similar guide to the best NGC objects is on the way (Crowdfunding).  The Big Binoscout is in print and will be available in November.

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
Info added

15 hours ago, paulastro said:

528884042_Screenshot_20211018-105553_AmazonShopping.jpg.8d4537f25f9dcf0eb076e2e945157b2d.jpg

I've put a wanted ad on SGL for a copy of this, but this may be a long shot as it was published yonks ago.

Does anyone know of any other Messier book/Guide which contains Telrad finder charts for each object?  

I have found them online, but I'm afraid I don't have any printer facilities to print them off.

Thanks for reading, Paul

Approaching this from a different direction ... If you've found online charts you could always download them and send them to an online printing service who would print them for you and post them back , and probably bind them for you too if you wanted. An online search should give plenty of choice of companies , or maybe a local copy shop you could visit.

Heather

12 hours ago, Stu said:

@paulastro there is the Illustrated guide to Astronomical Wonders which might be interesting. Not Telrad circles but 5 degree finder circles.

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Illustrated_Guide_to_Astronomical_Wonder.html?id=ymt9nj_uPhwC&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=1&redir_esc=y

Many thanks Stu, I'm tempted to buy this if you recommend it, bearing in mind I only use up to 6 inches aperture at home?  I've never come across this book before, it seems to have lots of goodies in it.

11 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

By the publisher of the Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas - a very thought-out book, detailed and self-explaining, with Telrad circles.

Moreover, a similar guide to the best NGC objects is on the way (Crowdfunding).  The Big Binoscout is in print and will be available in November.

Stephan

Many thanks Stephan, it looks a great book, I could probably figure out what bits of the descriptions mean.  For some reason, when I looked at the link on my phone it kept on the move from one page to the other so it was hard to follow 😄.  I'll check out the book and it's availability, thanks again Stephan.

10 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Approaching this from a different direction ... If you've found online charts you could always download them and send them to an online printing service who would print them for you and post them back , and probably bind them for you too if you wanted. An online search should give plenty of choice of companies , or maybe a local copy shop you could visit.

Heather

Many thanks Heather, that's a brilliant idea!  I'm away from Friday for a few days, but I'll certainly follow it up when I get up.  Thank you very much 🙂.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

Stephan

Stephan.  I've done a search and the only seller I found was Amazon which lists it at £31.68, which seems rather a lot for a 96 page soft back?  A shame as it looks a good book.  There may have been a facility to order it from the link you kindly sent, but alas if so I couldn't see it - my lack of German is not helping I'm afraid.  🤔

2 hours ago, paulastro said:

Stephan.  I've done a search and the only seller I found was Amazon which lists it at £31.68, which seems rather a lot for a 96 page soft back?  A shame as it looks a good book.  There may have been a facility to order it from the link you kindly sent, but alas if so I couldn't see it - my lack of German is not helping I'm afraid.  🤔

Paul,

it's easy and self-explaining to use this atlas. The text passages are rather short and refer to partly astrophysics of the object, partly to history and common aspects ("trivia"), so not vital for observing. All the other topics you will found out, I'm sure. When you tap on one of the sliding/changing pictures on your smartphone, or notebook, the movement will stop, and you can investigate calmly.

The book is priced here at 39.90€, so not cheap, but it oozes quality. The material is heavy DIN-A 4 paper, almost carton, dew-resistant and glossy, spiral-bound. The layout mirrors all the 30+ years experience of it's author and observer (who made the drawings of all objects once again, using 12" and 10" Dobs under 21.3-21.7 SQM-L skies). You may access the objects using their M number, or planned observing time, or right ascension etc. Symbols are used for types of observing instruments, colours for favourable observing (traffic-light system - green=ok; orange and red=worse) and so on. All very thought-out and immediately useful; and up-to-date (released Oct.2020).

The Oculum Verlag will ship to all European countries; just give it a try  (oculum.de), or use the tax-avoiding river, if it's too complicated.

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene

On 18/10/2021 at 11:21, paulastro said:

Thanks for reading, Paul

£29 and in stock on the Opticstar website - Messier guide

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to say a big thank you to you all who have responded.  I've ordered the Pennington book, but have also been informed about a couple of other deep sky resources which I am following up.

I'm also going to use a spare copy of S&Ts Pocket Sky Atlas to make myself a bespoke Atlas.  All my favourite targets (as well as the Messier objects) will be marked using a stencil  to add a Telrad outer circle size ring round each one.

20211020_123124.thumb.jpg.ad4dd4627301d02ee048785393117604.jpg

All of your responses have been useful to me, again, thank you all