Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A quick spin around Bootes

lunator

Observing session 16/10/21

The evening was looking promising. Saturn and Jupiter were high in the south and a fairly bright moon was behind some trees in the east. I knew the moon would be washing many fainter objects out and this was going to be a short test of my re-assembled/re-aligned. mount.

I had a number of fainter Struve doubles in Bootes I wanted to tick of before they disappeared and the moon glow was less intrusive in this part of the sky.
As this was a bit of a test run I was only really using my 32mm eyepiece to give me x70 magnification. The seeing and transparency were not brilliant probably around 3/5.                    
STF1982. A pale creamy white pair with a small difference in magnitude. Split at x70.

STF1961. A wide pair with a small difference in magnitude. Both stars appeared white. Small curve of stars nearby. 

STF1947. A fairly close pair with a moderate difference in magnitude. The primary is yellow, the secondary has an orange tint.

STF1946. A fairly close pair with a moderate difference in magnitude. The primary is white and the secondary is a blue dot. Tricky to see at x70.

STF1934. A moderately close pair of evenly matched white stars. Easily split at x70.

STF1920. A fairly wide pair of evenly matched pale orange stars.

STF1901. A wide pair of uneven magnitude. A neat colour contrast of an orange primary and pale blue secondary.

STF1896. A fairly close pair of white pairs, with a moderate difference in magnitude. The 'c' component is a blue grey dot a short distance away. 

STF1826. A fairly close pair with a moderate difference in magnitude.. The primary is white, the secondary is pale blue.

I will put a more detailed report in the double star section. 

Some high cloud had rolled in so had a quick look at Jupiter
Jupiter 4 Moons, and several bands. 

Saturn was not possible to see due to houses blocking the view.

RS Oph not visible in the conditions it is in quiescence so it will faint now.

I finished with a look at The Moon using my 15mm pentax giving x150 and got a decent view of Gassendi.

Cheers
Ian

• Like 4